Sharing Windows Scanner with Networked Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by karmski, Feb 23, 2012.

1. karmski macrumors newbie

I have a DR-3080C Canon Scanner that is connected to a Windows Server 2003 (as the scanner won't run on a Mac). Our home network consists of the Windows Server 2003 and several Macs running Lion. I would like to be able to see/operate the scanner from the Macs on the network.

Image Capture does not see the scanner connected to the Windows machine.

Have downloaded Scanique to the Windows machine and set it for server, but it didn't work. I imagine that this software also has to be loaded to the client machines, which can't be done as it is Windows only.

Any help with this problem would be most appreciated.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Did a lot of searching, seems you have only one option, buy an OSX compatible scanner, or just use it on your Windows machine.

You could save the scans there, then copy across to your Macs...Not hard.

3. karmski thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick response. I have been using it on the Windows machine and used a shared file to save and pickup the scans, but thought there might be some new software to network the scanner.

The Canon scanner was fairly pricey when purchased and does a great job with speedy scanning and small files sizes. It's just a shame I didn't have Macs when I was making a purchasing decision - I would have definitely made a different choice.

Thanks again for your time on this problem!

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

All may not be lost.....

Just released:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL899?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Not sure which Canon scanners are supported, but worth a shot.