Sharing Wireless Connection to Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jon54321, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jon54321 macrumors newbie

I'm in a situation where I have only a wireless connection to the internet that can only be used by one device at a time. What I would like to do is connect my Macbook, then share this connection by ethernet to an Airport Express. Then I need to have the AE send a wireless signal that I can connect to with other devices, i.e. iPad and iPhone. The goal is to be able to use this connection on multiple devices at the same time.

So far I've accomplished sharing the connection on the Mac (internet sharing through Thunderbolt ethernet), but I'm not sure how to configure the AE (old style) to send out a wireless signal. To clarify, I can see the AE from all devices and connect, but I'm not getting internet access and not getting a green light on the AE.

2. justperry, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I tried that one myself and it does not work, only if you connect a patch cable to it and share it over that lan connection it will be possible.

Reason I think is that if you share your internet wirelessly to the AE there is no way that it can connect to other devices since it is already having a wireless connection to your computer.(Adhoc)

BTW, I have the old one with one Lan port, I think the newer ones with two RJ45 ports and 2.4-5GHz can do what you want although I am not really sure.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Can't you put a router between the Internet Connecting device and all other devices ?
    What exactly is the device that connects to the Internet ?