Sharp announces bezel less phone

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Sharp announces a bezel-free phone. It is sorta bezel free. But the color is not my favorite...
    It is coming to Sprint......so it won't see any sales..... ;)

[​IMG]

2. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Looks good. Closest attempt at bezel free yet, much better than the RAZR i :p

Top tier design, I wonder what the complete specs are.

3. mKTank, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Except it's going to be a pain in the ass to use. The thing I hated the most about my old G2 (aside from the dumb back buttons) was the fact that I'd accidentally tap on absolutely everything at the edges by just holding the phone. There needs to be some kind of bezel to prevent accidental input from the edges. This phone is going to be wildly uncomfortable just for the sake of looking cool on a table.

4. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

That's dead sexy.

Wait until they do an entire front face of glass with no bezels. Not even the bottom like this one!

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I completely agree.

I think this particular model is ugly as sin and think completely bezel-less smartphones are wildly impractical and likely incredibly fragile.

6. Shuri macrumors 6502

It's easy to solve by software: just ignore those touches smartly. So you have your bezel and yet the bigger screen.

7. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

My main complaint with my S3 is that I can't hold it without accidentally touching stuff. This looks much worse.

That's my main complaint with the "Thinner is better" nonsense too.

8. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I have yet to see a device do this REALLY well.....

9. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Smart technology can solve that issue. Bring on the bezel-free displays I say.

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

I like it.

Software can always prevent accidental touches on the sides.
    If you use All In One Gestures app, you can see the area of the gesture areas if you change the color other than transparent.

Bezel-less would cut down the fat in all directions. Keeps dimensions smaller while still having a big screen.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nice looking but yet I think functionally speaking it may not be practical. False taps may be an issue even with software to ignore it.

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

Kudos to Sharp for trying. They were one of the first to introduce 1080p screens on smartphones to the world. They generally aren't as popular as they used to be, but their screen technology is still excellent. It is why companies like Apple still partner up with them or LG for their iPhone displays.

I would like for companies to trim more bezel in the top and bottom which includes Apple. This is why LG G3's footprint is no bigger than the HTC One M8 and Sony Xperia Z2 and it has the bigger screen.

13. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

I am using Lg g3, previous G2, and never had a problem because of the thin bezels..
    Wondering how people are holding their phones or what kind of hands they have...

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While it looks pretty amazing, I have to agree with you on this. I just wonder how practical it will be to use on a daily basis.

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

16. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

That bottom thick bezel is ugly and the camera is at the bottom too? Also, sprint only is blah...

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Hopefully they have some kind of software check like the ipads do to filter out your hands/fingers on the sides, but I can see this may be a problem. I've never used one of the newer ipads with the tiny side bezels, how well do they filter out unwanted presses?

18. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

19. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Gorgeous phone with mediocre specs + Sprint network = meh.

20. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Well the Air's side bezels are still wide enough that skin won't fold over onto the screen. I've never had any accidental input there.

21. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Well thats the first red flag to stay away. Sprint was actually the first now that I think about it.

22. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Small bezel, big chin.

I do wonder where the earpiece speaker is.

23. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

There isn't one. The entire front panel serves as the speaker. From CNet's preview:

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

I always pictured the future of smartphones to be as thin as credit cards and be all-screen similar to what I saw in that Microsoft Office (future video) or in the movie Looper.

At this point, I would be happy if manufacturers start trimming more of the top and bottom bezel. The Sony Xperia ZL from last year probably had one of the best screen to bezel ratio along with the 4.7 inch screens of the Huawei Ascend P6 and Motorola Moto X. The Xperia ZL was actually shorter than the ZR model (4.65 inch) and Moto X was shorter than the Moto G but had the slightly bigger screen.

25. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Realistically you will always need some physical space, just for things like battery, speakers, connectivity, chips etc etc.

I can't see phones losing too much more bezel than this and the G3.