iPad Sharp Chamfered Edges or Soft Rounded Glass?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sportsfrk214, Oct 3, 2014.

?

What edge design will we see on the iPad Air 2?

1. Sharp chamfered edges (like the iPad Air 1)

17 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. Soft rounded edges (like the iPhone 6/6+)

40 vote(s)
    70.2%
  1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Simple poll, asking for a prediction here. On the iPad Air 2, will it retain the same edge design as the original iPad Air, with the sharp chamfered edges? Or will it go with the rounded glass at the sides that blends into the aluminum, like the iPhone 6/6+? I for one hope it's the latter. I never knew I hated the sharp edges of my iPhone 5S until I got my 6.

2. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Completely with you on that one. Down with boxy form factors.

3. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Don't really care. Like most people, I put it in a case.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The chamfer edges are most likely gone. Things are scratch magnets.

5. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes agreed. In some ways they remind me of the backs on the old iPods. They look real nice out of the box but quickly deteriorate.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Screen protectors work much better on the boxy design... can blend in much better since they can go edge to edge.

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

chamfered edges this year, rounded glass a la iphone 6 for the two years after that.

wedve seen part leaks by now if the design was drastically new

8. arbogast777 macrumors regular

One of the biggest reasons I want to upgrade is the edges on my Air have become so chipped it's getting uncomfortable to move around in my hand. Rounded edges, please.

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

I'm actually really surprised how many people think next week's iPad is going to be an all new form factor with rounded edges.

Potential part leaks we've seen have shown the chamfered edges with just a couple minor minor changes like the recessed buttons, and in recent years Apple has been on a two year design cycle for iOS devices, plus in very recent years the iPad designs tend to lag the iPhone designs by one year.

Unfortunately I think we are getting a chamfered edge, 1 GB RAM iPad Air 2 this year. I love the hell out of my iPad 4 and was going to upgrade to a 2 GB RAM Air 2, but at this point knowing the next iPad will have the rounded glass almost makes me interested in waiting til next year, at which point I would also certainly expect 2 GB of RAM. We will see what Apple releases next week though, but in the meantime I love my 4.

10. arbogast777 macrumors regular

Even if we get rounded edges I still want a video of Jony Ive saying chamfered

11. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Actually, the iPad mini introduced the chamfered edge design, IIRC, during the same Fall 2012 release cycle as the iPhone 5. The iPad 4 did lag a year before the iPad Air was introduced.

Seriously hoping the rounded edges is adopted for the iPads. So much nicer...

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

Ah ok. The chamfered edge is certainly nice, but I would be more apt to get an Air 2 if it had the iPhone look to it and 2 gig of RAM...that would be a winner.

13. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Definitely, completely agree.

14. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

True, but I think the wear of Apple devices has always been attractive--a good thing, as their designs will take a beating but show it in the real world, away from the CG renders. :)

It will be interesting to see if the new design is a major improvement from the cosmetic durability standpoint or not.