Sharp Edge of Lightning Port Cuts my Finger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewtonPippin, Dec 14, 2015.

1. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

Does anyone else have this problem? Sometimes when I'm operating my 128GB iPhone 6S (Rose Gold) with one hand, i shift it down so that my thumb rests at the bottom of the phone. However, this causes a pretty significant amount of pain because the lightning port is so fricken sharp. It doesn't draw blood, but its extremely uncomfortable and seems like a really poor design choice.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of buying some kind of rubber stopper to stick into the port when its not in use.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Don't shift your thumb down?

No...never experienced this.

3. knownikko macrumors 6502

You're holding it wrong.

/obligatory

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. NewtonPippin thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, these suggestions are entirely unhelpful so far.

1) I can hold the phone how I want - Having my thumb at the bottom helps balance and support it. You're telling me i should have to change my grip, and risk dropping the phone, to avoid Apple's sharp port?

2) I'm not holding it "wrong" unless you can link me something showing the "right" way to hold it. Official documentation perhaps.

3) I'm not buying a $1000 phone, picking a color like Rose Gold so i can hide it behind some stupid plastic case. I want people to see that I have the latest iPhone, not some crappy Samsung in a crappy case.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Why not just cover the port with a small piece of tape - or a cute little sticker :D One of those large craft stores would have something that would match the rose gold, I bet.
    That would be simpler than hunting for some special lightning port stopper that may get lost the first time you plug in to charge...

But, that "sharp lightning port" does not sound normal. Have a "genius" take a look at it. You may walk out after getting a quick replacement 'phone.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

So, I just took my iPhone 6S+ and pretty forcibly rubbed my thumb across the bottom of it, and along the lighting port. Didn't feel the slightest bit of pain at all, and no cuts.

OP either has very thin, brittle skin, or their iPhone has a serious build quality issue and it needs to be looked at.

8. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Well you rejected every logical suggestion, other than maybe there is something wrong with it. I've never heard of this problem before. If you put your finger on something and it hurts, then you don't put your finger on it. This isn't that hard.

9. knownikko macrumors 6502

I'm beginning to think this entire thread exists so that you could tell us all that you have a 128GB Rose Gold iPhone 6S.

Congrats, you've definitely arrived. Make sure people notice!

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, if any suggestion to address it is already not acceptable from the beginning, seems like the only thing is for you to contact Apple and see what they can do about it.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Hope you get it figured out, @NewtonPippin

12. knownikko macrumors 6502

Next time get the bigger one so people will notice even more. I mean, I see people like you cutting their fingers on their 128GB Rose Gold iPhone 6S, and the only thing I can think is "aww, look at that cute little phone. It's a shame they were too poor and classless to get a 128GB Rose Gold iPhone 6S PLUS."

13. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Can you annotate a pic of the bottom of your phone, and where you think you're getting a sharp edge? I can't imagine how my phone could do that. If it continues, I'd suggest taking it in to an Apple Store, because it doesn't sound normal.

C

14. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

My stupid plastic case is obscuring the lightning port of my latest expensive iPhone. I'm not sure if is sharp.

15. Allin44 macrumors 6502

I have a 6S+ and hold it the way you do, and I can't imagine how it could possibly cut you.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Do some manual labor and volunteer work like Habitat for Humanity or Outward Bound. It will accomplish two things:
    • It will toughen up your hands, so they aren't so injured by an iPhone port.
    • It will give you some perspective, so a sharp iPhone port will cease to be a problem.

In all seriousness, compare to other iPhones. If it's a huge deal, schedule a genius appt. & see what they say.

17. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

If you are operating that tiny phone with one hand shouldn't your thumb be on the screen? Get a man's phone get a PLUS.

18. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

A picture would've helped al lot in this thread. Don't recognize your problem and can't really figure out how you're holding your phone.

Considering you like showing off your new phone this should've come to mind you'd think.

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Bad suggestion. OP is obviously female.

20. knownikko macrumors 6502

I dunno. The Rose Gold thing streaks across all genders and lifestyles.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I had every intention of coming in here and poking fun, but then I ran my finger over the edge of the lightning port. It is much "sharper" than it needs to be. I don't know if sharp is the right word but I don't like running my finger over it so I'll stop. :p

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ralph? Is that you?

-Chief Wiggum