Sharp edges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rob9874, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

Love my new 2011 15" MPB, I'm a recent PC convert. My only minor complaint is the sharp edges. I have lines in my palm/wrist from resting while I use the trackpad. Anyone else have this issue?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's been an issue for years. The things we sacrifice for the best looking laptop in the world. (I feel like i'm on Apple's marketing team saying that lol)

3. toxic macrumors 68000

unfortunately, Apple has not learned something so base and fundamental as rounding off edges.

4. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Or rather, they "un-learned" it. My Duo and iBook both had nice comfortable edges. I am counting the days until there is a design change. Let's hope they don't get even sharper :eek:

5. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

They are sharper than any PC I have ever used, but I wouldn't trade the MBP for any computer out there based on the usability of the MBP.

6. Evan_11 macrumors regular

The Speck case

I just installed the satin Speck case on my 2011 MBP 13" and it helps alleviate the sharp edges. The case itself adds an upper lip to the edge but at least it is smooth and rounded off. I would prefer to leave my MBP naked but the sharp edges were annoying.

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

The only time is it is a problem for me is when I sit on a couch or bed on my back or with my back propped up.

I never have this problem when typing with proper posture.

8. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Me neither, but as you say, there are times with a portable when you can't achieve that (coffee shop, airplane seat, whatever).

But when I really find it the worst is not when typing at all. It's when web-surfing or doing other mostly-trackpad things because then my hand is on or near the trackpad and my wrist contacts the edge.

9. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

My 2011 13" had smoother, rounder edges than my 2009. Actually, I had 2 and they were both like that. I guess it's who's working......

10. Surely Guest

Surely

11. dnlt macrumors newbie

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Disagree ... laptops are used in all kinds of places therefore 'proper typing position' isn't always possible.

There is NO need to have sharp edges like that on a notebook, just using the trackpad or moving the notebook the edge is sharp if your skin comes in contact with it.

HUGE design flaw with zero cost involved to round the edges during machining.

Why Apple continues to do it is a mystery.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Because it creates a flush edge when the laptop is closed and if you type properly, it shouldn't affect you.

:p

14. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

If one only types on one's laptop.

I sometimes spend long periods of time only using the trackpad, and then my wrist contacts the edge. I have been using Apple laptops since the 1990s (Duo 280c :)) and this has never been a problem until they started designing them with sharp edges. I still buy them as I have not found anything else I like better. But if they ever change the edge design I will be lining up to buy one!

15. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

try a sleeve ?

this black MBP sleeve might be able to handle the problem. it doesn't look bad either..

16. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

That is just what steve might be counting on. If mbp sales (ever) dwindle then he might angle and soften things up for a sales boost!

17. electronique macrumors 6502

Like I said in another thread not 3 days ago.

A bit of went and dry sandpaper, should cut those edges down.

18. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Why should people cover up a beautiful piece of engineering with a case?

Its a £1500+ machine ffs.

19. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I completely agree with you that sanding would ease the edges, and in the past I have done just that to a plastic Macbook (2008, that had the "raw" square plastic edge design). Worked a treat.

But, the unibody aluminum MBP's are anodized. Anodizing is an electro-chemical type process (not a metallurgist, sorry) that makes the aluminum form a harder surface than the "raw" aluminum. Sanding will cut through that coating and that edge will no longer be anodized.

Now, that may not cause any problems in day-to-day use, since your wrists/hands will tend to keep the edge "polished," but it is a bit bigger step then simply sanding a sharp edge off of a "solid" plastic computer. 'Course it might be preferable to having the MBP "polish" your wrists with its original edge ;)