Sharp grinding noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ripjohnnyc, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ripjohnnyc macrumors newbie

Hey guys i have the new alum macbook, and I'm not sure if its always been making this noise or not. It's not too loud but pretty annoying for a new 1500 computer. It kinda sounds like the fan is slightly grinding up against something, or its the hard drive at work. It keeps going off like and is sporadic, even when the computer is on a stable surface. I've had the thing in my backpack a few times so maybe it has moved some stuff around? anyways does anybody else have this problem, im trying to figure out if i should exchange it for another one.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If it's the fans - download SMC Fan Control and vary the speeds of the fans - if the pitch of the noise changes while you do that - it is the fan.

If not, maybe it's your HD.

Being in your backpack - if you had a piece of sand, paper clip, staple or something small may have gotten inside it.

Take it in to Apple if it sounds bad.

3. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

My fans on my alum MB were dead silent, you might want to get it checked out

4. ripjohnnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help, i downloaded smc and varied the fan speed which didn't affect the noise, so im pretty sure it is the harddrive, so i may try to replace this thing before my 14 days is up. cheers

5. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Yeah that doesn't sound good, I'd definitely head over to an Apple store.

6. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Get it replaced while you can. My Macbook is virtually dead silent on light use. There is no grinding noise at all.

7. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

I've just today noticed my ali mb fan has started to rattle, smc confirmed my suspicions.

so i took the back cover off just for a quick blowout of dust, it hasn't resolved it, now i didnt get my mb in apple shop, but can i take it back there to get it sorted on warranty? as i work quite close to one

incidentally its between 3k and 4k rpm its most annoying

cheers

8. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

It shouldn't matter where you bought it, Apple is the manufacturer and they should take care of it in the store with no problem.

9. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

Ok, cool, i've booked myself into the Genius Bar for tomorrow lunchtime

see how it goes

10. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

My new MBP also has a rattle, in the left fan (diagnosed with smc). It's slight at 2000 rpm, but terrible at 4000.

Wednesday: Genius Bar.

11. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

it IS your hard drive! my dell did this right before burning out! if you have anything you need, back up NOW before you loose it.

12. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

quick update from me, genius confirmed my fan grinding, they didnt have a spare in the shop so have ordered me one, im just waiting for the call to pop in and get it swapped over now!!!

13. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Update:

Genius agreed that fan was making noise, though he wasn't clear whether it would require an adjustment or a replacement. It's NYC, so hopefully parts won't be far away. Someone who popped his head out of the back asked what the problem was, and was told, and sarcastically remarked, "It's a laptop." Less than encouraging, but hopefully it'll get fixed quickly.

As a side note, the Geniuses apparently are all issued a copy of smc for use to diagnose/confirm fan problems. Small world.

14. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

To OP, any updates? Please let us know if you ever figured out what was wrong.

15. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

Had my fan replaced yesterday, ok i had to wait 3 weeks for the fan but it was a 20 min swap in the shop, new one is so much quieter generally aswell,

currently warcraft running for 4/5 hrs, fan rpm is 3750 a massive improvement and alot quieter, before swap that was 6500 flat out with grinding noise and recently the old fan started that really loud vibrating spindle thing the only way to stop was to sleep it then wake it again.

Im a happier bunny that the happy bunny i was before the fan failed!