Sharpie & Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rwoolsey, Sep 30, 2008.

1. rwoolsey macrumors member

rwoolsey

Read this on another blog and thought I'd share it....

so today me and my wife were watching tv, and all the sudden we realise my 20 month old son, matty, was extremely quiet....
    knowing something terrible was at hand I jump off the couch and turn around to see him sitting in front of my macbook... first thought to mind,
    "oh no, he has drawn on it with a crayon..." I was wrong about the crayon, he had indeed drawn on it in our lack of attention, but not with a crayon, with a sharpee marker in its stead... needless to say I was upset considering the screen was covered in squiggly black lines, and three of the keys had black dots on them... so I called the apple "helpline" and asked them what to do, to which they replied "I don't know," so I did what any self respecting alabamian would do, I sprayed some windex on a paper towel and went to scrubbing, it did some good but not much....

so three products later, I thought I might share what got the sharpee off the screen perfectly, I still have gray marks on my keys but I can live with that.... goo gone (citrus scent)

it worked perfectly and effortlessly and didn't melt the screen... so if anyone else ever has a sudden decline in good parenting skills and lets their infant child go off alone around their precious 1100$ computer... now you know how to fix it so your heart won't sink when the apple "helpers" reply

"I don't know"

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

3. Peabody macrumors regular

Hah, been there, done that. :) Pesky children...

Goof Off works wonders as well. Just dip a qTip in some and get to work!

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

What is this stuff exactly? Like a Magic Eraser? A mild abrasive.... ?

5. Peabody macrumors regular

Goof Off is a fancy brand name for turpentine...

6. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Would this also work on the plastic on a white macbook?
    Just to the left of my trackpad, had ink on that hand last night and likely rubbed my hand off that :/ Only noticed it now as was working with pretty low light at the time.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I remember using GooGone to get the glue left by old stickers when I worked in a bookstore. That stuff is frighteningly powerful...

8. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=668521&highlight=goo+gone

- very different outcomes.:confused:

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

10. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

Fastest and none destructive way to remove sharpie from any hard surface. Get a dry erase marker and a eraser or cloth.. Draw over the sharpie with the dry erase marker and wipe both away. You will never know the sharpie was there.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Interesting idea. Can someone test it out? Probably on a different surface than a computer of course.

12. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

i Just did it on my Time Capsule to make sure it does work on Mac like surfaces. Worked fine i can post pics if people would like before they try lol : )