Sharpness and the CSI effect

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by vicious1, Jun 7, 2009.

1. vicious1 macrumors newbie

So, I had nothing better to do than to take a photo of my son, which i thought was pretty sharp for non-macro and hand held, and apply the "CSI" trick (zooming in on the eye to see what is reflected...) by jut enhancing the eye. The result is actually quite ok, in terms of what you get out of it. You can clearly see a distorted face (my wife), the window and the fact that its dusk or dawn, a tree and me with a flash :)

Now, I understand that the photo in itself is nothing fancy and not macro type sharp but for the lens used and hand held, I think the results are quite passable.
    The list goes:
    full photo (resized, obviously) 12mpixel, RAW
    100% crop of the eye
    200% crop of the eye
    400% crop of the eye
    700% crop of the eye
    No photoshop sharpen filters were used

Anyone else got such an effect? For those interested, shot with a D90 and 50mm f1.8@f3.5, ISO 200

Attached Files:

2. wheelhot macrumors 68020

yup, I bet many photogs know what you have shown, thanks for sharing nway. Also if you were to use a FF in the future (D700 or D3 or D3x for your case), it will be even more detailed and will make ur eyes bleed :p

3. vicious1 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok..

<runs out to buy a D700>:p

well I am saving for one anyway..
    BUT I think my main point was that its quite a nice way to see if your lens is sharp and if your focus worked :)

4. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Yup, you got that right

5. advan031 macrumors 6502

You could actually have made his eyes pop even more but nice pic nonetheless.

6. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

If you squeeze a kid, you can make its eyes pop, though some think it cruel...

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Sensors size isn't directly related to resolution.