Shattered display-Apple Store replaced it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kadman, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

My 3 week old iPhone slipped out of my case and (just as bread lands butter side down) went glass first into the concrete on my driveway, shattering the screen. I brought it to the Apple store today, knowing about the flat $250 repair costs, and told them what happened. To my pleasant surprise they said, "No problem we'll replace it." They even took back the case without any of the packaging so I could buy a different one. It's nice to see that sometimes you can still receive good customer service without forcing the issue. Seems less common these days and really stands out.

In other, somewhat related, news stay away from the Griffin Elan (pouch style) case.;) The friction fit might be strong enough to hold it in the horizontal position on day one, but it will loosen up over time!

2. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Thanks for the heads up.

I have one but only use it in my pocket and clipped to the cupholder in my car.

I always hold mine vertical. I don't understand the part of it being horizontal.

3. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Now this is a good example of a company taking one for the team, in order to keep it's customers. It was obviously consumer damage, but still, wish i could get replacements for lots of my products. :)

4. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

I wore it horizontal on my belt. I often find that vertical cases tend to bump into things more and have a tendency to poke me in the leg. The case is designed to either be worn vertical or horizontal, but I only see the friction issue being a problem if you wear it horizontally.

5. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

6. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

Not exactly consumer damage. I had purchased both the phone and the case from them and was using them as they were designed to be used. The problem is that the case didn't work as designed. I was prepared to argue this point when I walked in but I didn't have to. I simply explained what happened and they replaced them since the case failed and caused the damage. In fact, the person at the store told me that in the beginning they were replacing cracked screens even for those that were caused by the customer, but that stopped some time ago.

Many places would have directed me back to the case manufacturer, but Apple stood behind the product since they sold it to me. I was impressed!