Shattered iMac screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mikemj23, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone.

I have a big problem and hopefully someone can help. The screen on my iMac is shattered and completely un-readable. I'm trying to enable screen sharing via VNC so I can see the screen on my ipad but the problem is that I can't see anything on my iMac's screen.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to enable the sharing or another way to essentially do it blind?

thanks.

2. timtom33 macrumors member

Just remove the glass... its only held on with magnets... might be dangerous though with it being broken glass, so only do it if you think it's safe, otherwise leave it in place.

3. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Yeah, I'd be careful here. The panel needs a fair bit of force to remove (they are strong magnets), and if it's shattered, any anti-shatter film will give way.

There's no keyboard shortcut, but if you have the ability to plug an external monitor in, you could switch to that.

4. Tim in Phoenix macrumors member

Hello

It ain't glass, it is Lucite, but be careful of sharp edges anyway. If you shattered the lcd also then it will have to go in the shop.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh that sucks :( I hope its just the glass and not the LCD.

6. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

The iMac is not a hockey net haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. wangkom macrumors member

If it's only the glass (lucite) cover then the replacement from Apple doesn't cost that much (i think around 100-150ish).

8. mikemj23 thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL . . . nice one.

It is the LCD. If I plug an external monitor in do I need to enable screen sharing or will it automatically mirror?

thanks for all the help.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

i encourage everyone to withhold answers until we see pictures :)

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

External monitor...

Bigger question: How did you manage to shatter the screen? If this were a laptop I would not be interested in the least, but an iMac?

Please share, pics are icing on the cake!

11. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Ah yes, good idea. Plug in an external monitor to the iMac (you can get decent priced MiniDVI or DisplayPort adapters from Monoprice.com for about $7, they seem to work fine for me).

Or if you don't have another monitor get an HDMI adapter (if you have an HDTV), the site I mentioned above also has it. Best of luck!

12. Pintail macrumors member

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Where did you get the info that it's not glass? Apple's site describes it as glass:

14. mikemj23 thread starter macrumors 6502

My 2 1/2 year old decided it would be a good idea while watching Dora on it, to take a sand shovel and throw it at the screen. As with other LCD's, it cracked at one point and splintered in all different directions. Screen still turns on, just can't see a thing. BTW, this is an iMac bought in 2007 time frame.

I will try to get pic up for all of your enjoyment tonight.

Seriously - thanks to all for the help. It was definitely a stressful moment in the house, but something to laugh about now.