Shattered Iphone 4 glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ale4529, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ale4529 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I unfortunately shattered my Iphone 4 front glass as you can see in the picture. Long story short, alcohol was involved. :( Anyways, I clearly need a new front screen. The back is fine, as there's been a case on it. Apple quotes 150 to fix and 200$ to replace the phone. I heard from people it can be replaced fairly cheap online($50 or so). Looking for a reputable place to get it fixed, as sending in my 700$ phone to a stranger sounds a bit sketchy to me... UbreakitIfix quotes like $150 which is too much for me.

Photo on 2010-11-21 at 10.06.jpg

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you want a cheap chinese knockoff screen with lots of headaches go for the $50 screen.
    If you want a genuine replacement you will have to kick in over $100+
    I'd say bring it to Apple and have it done right.

3. APtalent macrumors regular

iResq charged $175 including the installation by a cert. Apple technician.

Honestly, rather than pay a 3rd party site, go to the Apple Store and have it fixed. Better safe than sorry. Even if it means shelling out a couple of tens.

4. ale4529 thread starter macrumors newbie

and the result is

So Im eating downtown with my friend discussing business and I think out loud to myself, "oh, I just remembered, there's a new apple store that opened up here...." (Generally, the normal apple store I go to is about 20 minutes away)
    Anyways, although my initial thought is the apple store will rape me on the price to replace my phone or screen with a $200 charge, I decide I don't have much to lose. My friend just keeps telling me "just be nice." We have a dinner reservation at 5:45, and it's 5:30 with the apple store closing at 6pm. I walk in, the guy greets me, asks what's up and what he can do for me, I show him my phone, he gives me that grin, like "oh ****, I wish I could help u," and I ask him what can be done and if the glass or just front piece can be replaced. He tells me the the Iphone 4's don't sell them separately and that's its $200 because they have to replace the whole phone. ***** my life.......... I tell him the apple rep I spoke to on the phone said sometimes they do it for 90 or 100$ and he said he could honor that. He says the genius bar has no appointments tonight but he'd try and fit me in and I agreed. I walk up to the genius bar and am waiting and a guy asks me if I've been helped- clearly no... I show him and expect to pay $100. He turns to me and says-

"Just this one time, we're gonna replace it for free."

I love you Apple :):):):) Walked out with a brand new baby. MUAHAHAH

5. Gli.Azzuri macrumors member

Haha I would love to believe that to be true :D but reality is that apple store employees are all evil.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That does happen alot whether you believe it or not.
    It helps being nice and courteous to the Apple rep.
    Glad it worked out OP.

7. Awjvail macrumors 6502

They gave you a BRAND NEW PHONE?

uadg;adsuuohdah;ADKH; paif;adjfAF

8. Orion126 macrumors regular

A friend of mine got his shattered iPhone 4 replaced for free though don't remember if he went in there with his LAPD uniform on or not.

Glad it work out for you!

9. Knoxville3G macrumors member

Apple has the best customer service...period.

Awesome story man! Had the same good luck yesterday too. Went to my local Apple Store yesterday because my iPhone 4 kept getting the "this accessory is not optimized for iPhone" message on my screen without anything being plugged in. Needless to say, he shows me the nice pink moisture sensor in the dock connector and says "usually we'd have to charge you $199 for a replacement since moisture damage isn't covered by warranty, but since you haven't had any replacements since you got your's on release day, we can give you a one time replacement for free". Here I was expecting to shell out at least $200 and ended up with a nice shiny warranty refurb for free (which is fine with me, don't know why people are so uptight about refubs since they carry the same warranty as a new phone). Thank you Apple store in West Town Mall in Knoxville, TN. That's exactly why I'm a loyal Apple customer. :apple::D:D:D

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The funny thing is that refurbs are usually tested more stringently to ensure they work correctly.

I've also had excellent AppleCare Genius Bar service for my Apple devices (PowerBook, MacBook and iPhone 3G). Everytime they replaced something for free. The last time I went in for my iPhone 3G, which had dust and hair under the screen, they replaced it for free with a perfect refurb. Luckily for me this was in June so I jailbroke it with the iOS 4 GM (before the iPhone 4's release) and was able to make enough on the sale of it to pay for my upgrade to the iPhone 4!

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Apple has come through for me like this several times as well. I totally believe your story. I also got a call the other day from one of their managing genius bar guys to make sure I was totally happy with my replacement phone. I would venture to say that Apple is second to none in the customer service front.