Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PandaBrit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Soooo.. This morning as I was leaving for work at 7:30 in the morning I dropped my 5s. I've had it for 10 months and never dropped it, until this morning. Picked it up and heart sank as soon as I saw the shattered screen. It's always been in a case but clearly that wasn't enough to prevent a shattered screen.

Just wondering what is apples policy on screen repairing? I've booked a genius bar appointment for this saturday as thats when I got a day off work and just wanted to find out what info I can before I go.

I really do not want to spend much money fixing it as its less than 2 weeks ago I spent over £2000 in there on my new mac and super drive.

Thanks very much :)

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Hello. :apple:

A cracked screen is accidental damage, but it is not covered under the 1 year limited warranty that starts when you first get your phone.

You will probably have to scrape $269 (~ £156.90) from somewhere to pay for the screen repair. (Because you already spent a lot of money there)

Here's a link for more information on screen repairs.

Good luck, and please update us :D

-Juan

PandaBrit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Didn't think it was covered, eh never mind. I have the money to repair the screen but will apple repair it for me if I pay them too?

Thank you for the fast response :)

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Didn't think it was covered, eh never mind. I have the money to repair the screen but will apple repair it for me if I pay them too?

Thank you for the fast response :)

You can get your iPhone fixed if you go to an apple store for such service I believe.

Your best bet is to go to your appointment and ask if they can, if they can (which I'm kinda sure they will) that's great!

-Juan

PandaBrit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Update: Went to apple on saturday, had a genius appointment but due to traffic I was 30 mins late. Was seen after waiting around for what seemed like forever and was just told to pretty much keep it that way or pay £209 to replace my phone. Thought the dude at the genius bar wasn't very helpful at all baring in mind it was just 2 weeks ago I spent over 2 grand in there on a mac. Never the less my other half replaced his iphone for that price as his sleep/wake button is broke.
However me now totally broke couldn't afford it. So I went down the road to Timpson key cutters and the chap down there replaced the screen for £80 and now looks brand new again. Lovely fella too and much more helpful than the 'genuis' in the apple shop.

I know i've voided my warranty but hey what apple doesn't know won't hurt right?

All I can say is roll on pay day as Apple has had most of my savings this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.