Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trap74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hi Guys i've got a bit of a problem...

On a night out about 3 weeks or so after i got my iphone i dropped it face down on concrete and the screen shattered, the phone still works fine but as u can imagine its not great when bits of the screen are slowly flaking off.

the phone is insured with o2 and i think on contents insurance too, i rang o2 and they said they would happily repair or replace it (needed a password which i didnt have at the time)....what i didn't tell them is that the phone has been jailbroken, not unlocked to any network, just so i can install jive.

i seem to remember reading part of the warranty saying that they will not repair a phone if the damage is caused by cracking the software......and for me this is not the case, it is cracked but it works fine.

so basically what i'd like to know is weather o2 or apple would still repair this knowing it is cracked because the problem is in fact nothing to do with it being cracked...and the fact i have insurance.. or if i'm gona have to make it look as uncracked as possible by getting rid of EVERYTHING n hope they dont even look:confused:

thnx

Spud1

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
Under UK law apple/o2 HAVE to honour the 12 month warranty on your iPhone, for any manufacturing defects, but I don't think this extends to accidental damage or to iPhone insurance policies..

How bad is the damage? Is the phone still usable at all? If you can still at least turn it on, put it into recovery mode and restore with the official apple firmware. Since you don't need to unlock you should be fine doing this, and then send it in for repair - apple will have no way of knowing that its previously been pwned (i'm assuming you were not stupid enough to use ziphone :)).

Trap74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
it still works absolutely fine, unfortunately i did infact use ziphone for 1.1.4 i had no idea it was any worse than doing it any other way, ive never had any problems with it whatsoever

if that means apple could tell even if i restore it i think i'm going to just have to give it to o2 (rather than apple) and hope they dont notice anything after its restored...

Spud1

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
Its possible they *could* notice, but really unlikely...I doubt they will go digging through your phone when they are repairing/replacing it :) As long as your running the official firmware with no 3rd party stuff on there you will be fine.

Absolute worst case is they can just refuse to repair it anyway, so your not going to be any worse off than you are now.

mrmusill

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
Professional iPhone Repair

myself and my girlfriend have both had good luck with http://www.iphonerepair.com for fixing a broken outer glass and water damage.

they shipped the phone back with no charge for shipping and fixed my phone in a couple of days. oh yeah, if you call, a person actually answers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.