Shattered Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adam044, Mar 19, 2013.

1. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

So I shattered my screen today. I blame Vine, dropped it face down on my driveway. Ive never damaged any iphone I've ever had. My question is if I bring it to apple and say Im having the sleep awake button problem sometimes and something like that will they give me a new phone. Or will they replace the screen in the store for me

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

They will test your phone, find nothing wrong with it, and then ask you for the money to replace your screen.

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Is an OOW exchange for a new iPhone $229 or something like that?

You may plead your case and say you'll buy AppleCare+ if they exchange it out, pay the $99 for that and $50 for one of two replacements and see if that has any traction.

----------

There are small iphone repair shops too, they charge around $80-100 for a new screen, but I don't know if they have iP5 screens in yet. You may void your remaining warranty with Apple too, but typically the shops place a warranty on their workmanship too.

4. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

Who is Vine?

And no, if you say, "Uh, I know the screen is shattered but I have a different problem with the phone that I didn't think was important enough to bring in until the screen shattered", it won't get you much sympathy.

Hope you have AppleCare+. For iPads, I don't see the huge necessity since I don't do a lot of running, walking, jumping, etc. with it in my hands. But a phone, that's with you 24/7 and can fall out of a pocket or your hand while you're gesturing wildly? AppleCare+ is a must have!

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

As previously stated its $229 for a replacement. Dropping the phone and shattering the screen voids your warranty, therefore, if you did have a problem with the lock button it can be blamed on the drop.

6. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

So if I go to apple today they will give me a replacement phone for $229? Ouch that hurts. I have an appointment at 3:30 luckily I have an apple store 30 min away.

If the phone didn't have glass coming out of it I would live with it. It would bother me but thats life. Its still functional but the more I touch it the worse it gets. Luckily the screen protector is holding it in

7. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Get a quote from the Apple store and see what they'll charge. Otherwise, you may want to look locally for a repair shop and call them up. You will save money with them!

Another poster has stated that shattering your screen voided your warranty, so you may as well try and save some dough through a local shop instead of spending $229 at Apple.

A coworker of mine left her iPhone inside an Otterbox on top of her vehicle in the morning once. Came home to find the iPhone in the street and must have been driven over a few times that day because the front glass was a goner. She replaced the screen (for a 4S) locally for $80 same day fix at a repair shop. They even placed a 1 year warranty on their work so she still has piece of mind. I asked to look at the phone afterwards and it looked brand new. Luckily the otterbox kept the rest of the phone in good condition and it was just the front glass.

----------

Another note...yes the $229 may sting, but look at this, if you were covered under AppleCare+ at this point you'd be out $99 plus $49 to replace your phone. That is only $81 difference...not too far off really. I still think the gamble of not breaking your phone is worth saving than paying AppleCare for their insurance, but each to his own opinion.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It depends on the phone. If it's a 3GS or 5, they can replace the screen for £79 (dunno what they charge in $).

9. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

Well looks like it going to be $229 unless I get some very nice employee today and get some kind of break which has happened before but thats when I was a cute little kid

10. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Best of luck to you with your Genius appt. I know it has happened before, just don't expect them to exhange it out for free. In some ways one should own up to their mistake and not expect handouts.

11. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

Oh I know its my fault 100% no one else to blame fell out of my hand cant deny that.

12. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

If it is out of warranty you will look to my sig for prices.

Offer to buy AppleCare and use one of your replacements on the spot. They will usually accept this.

13. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

Well good news! Got a brand new iPhone!... for $229 :(

14. chrscap macrumors regular

15. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

The entire phone is soooo much faster. Takes better pictures, music is so much louder, and the app launching is blazing fast! ;):D:D HAHAHA

I dont even use Safari...

16. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

As I'm sure some of you would like to see here was the damage.

*Sorry for the poor photo quality it was taken with an Android :D

17. frankchen855 macrumors newbie

OMG I dropped my (pretty brand new) iph5 getting out of my car the other day too.... it now looks just like yours :mad:

luckily, there are local shops here that can replace my screen for really cheap!!

18. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

I did that with my 4s, nothing even happened to the screen at all