Shaving costs while staying at San Fran

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Crocodoc, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Crocodoc macrumors member

So this is a long shot asking here, but in March I'm going to GDC in San Fran. I haven't had a heck of a lot of time save up money so I'm having to try do everything on the budget.

At the moment (if I have to) I'm planning to stay at a Youth Hostel or somewhere at the outer reaches of the BART lines but wondering if there's any hidden gems somewhere closer to Moscone Centre?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There may be, try using expedia or some other internet travel site.

From my stay in SF last fall, one thing became very evident - its an expensive town to visit. There are things to do that don't cost much money, but I found the dining and lodging to be unfortunately expensive

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm sure you can find some disposable razors there for a low price.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

When I saw that title, I thought the same thing. Dollar Shave Club came to mind.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The BART can get quite expensive, so you should price out tickets to see if it is really worth the commute.

There is a hostel at 711 Post St. that is within walking distance of Moscone.

You could also look down the Caltrain line, the 4th and King stop is a quick walk to Moscone. Caltrain tickets can add up too, so price those out too.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I like using a safety razor - the blades are more comfortable than cartridges and dirt cheap (less than a dime each, bought in bulk). I have a travel-size tube of cream from Art of Shaving and a small travel brush that I keep in an old pill bottle. Depending on how you travel, you might want to check your bag - TSA gets pretty antsy about safety razor blades in your carry-on.

7. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

I highly recommend Pacific Tradewinds Hostel (http://san-francisco-hostel.com) It's less than a mile away from Moscone. Price is around $30-35 a night. It's a small hostel that has a great homey feel. Staff and guests are always very friendly.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't the beatings come free at a hostel?

10. Crocodoc thread starter macrumors member

I actually had a friend suggest I should just book out a private room at a Cruise Club/Sauna every night and have some fun at the same time. Still cheaper than a Hotel. :cool:

It looks like I have a friend's family friend who has a spare bed who will let me crash, but I'll keep the hostels in mind if this falls through as well.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's probably best to simply grow a beard during a stay in San Francisco.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably, but then you have lug your suitcases around until you find the next place to stay.

The best possible option is to stay a friend's house which looks like you're doing

Enjoy your trip.