Shaving tips - 5 O'clock shadow ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hold, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hold macrumors regular

I seem to have a quite a dark 5 O'clock shadow above my lips (moustache area) and on my chin. Sort of like a french beard. Side burns and rest of my face don't have any shadow. The skin itself is silky smooth but even directly after shaving the mouth area has a dark shadow. Mostly I find it cool enough but sometimes I need to have a good shave. People in work think I don't shave that area at all. Even though I do. My skin is dark enough. It's not like I have snow white skin that gives off a strong contrast to the hair. Anyone else experience this and have any tips?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

3. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

This. The worst thing that can happen is you don't like it. Shave it off and your back at square one again

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ditto the above.

I wear a full beard so I don't worry about shadows...

5. Hold thread starter macrumors regular

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Tell them to screw, that's discrimination.

8. Hold thread starter macrumors regular

Gillette power fusion.

9. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Get a real razor, not those face raping pieces of crap Gillette and Schick sell. Start with a basic Merkur HD or Edwin Jagger.

10. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Also, when are you shaving? Right after a shower? That would help open up your pores and soften the hair, as well.

But yes, a proper razor with good technique will beat a Gillette Power Shave Spectacular Nimbus 9000. Might take a little bit more time, and some practice, but good chance you'll get better results.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you want to grow a beard or like your 5 o'clock "problem" tell them to sod off.

12. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I've also worked in a place with similar expectations. If in this economy you can afford to lose your job (a company with this kind of policy WILL show you the door when you tell them to "sod off") over facial hair, by all means go for it.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That's a very pragmatic point, and of course that is reality for most people. That doesn't make it right, and someone should stand up...

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I was an intern for a major company back in college who had that policy. I thought it was a bit ridiculous since I was in IT and never faced customers. But they had an exemption if you had to grow your beard for religious reasons. So what's stopping you from claiming to be Muslim or a Hasidic Jew? Can they still say no? I think if they questioned your religion like that, they'd be in just as much hot water as if they told you there were no religious exemptions from that policy. I guess if they caught you going out for a Baconator for lunch then they'd know you're full of crap, but just make up some weird sounding cult, again, could they really question it?

Glad I never took a full time position with them after college. Much prefer my current job's dress code where I can have facial hair (although I don't since mine barely grows in) and wear jeans and tennis shoes.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only shave once a week. I usually shave after using my steamroom and with the grain until it's almost smooth, then against to keep it as short for as long as possible. It's never long after that week. Just enough to look like I work in a creative industry.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No, it really isn't

17. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I've never even heard of these types of razors until you mentioned them. Just did some research and I'll definitely be trying these out when I get back home. I haven't had a close shave in years with the "face raping pieces of crap".

18. Melcombe macrumors newbie

Melcombe

Good move.

There's are several shaving fora and some helpful YouTube vids showing technique with a double edge razor. They take a bit of getting used to but are well worth it.

The idea is (if you don't already) shave lightly 'with the grain', then a second pass across the grain (never against it).

A good cream such as Proraso and a decent badger brush and away you go!

19. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Thanks for the advice. :D

20. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Use a Merkur double-edge safety razor with Feather blades, some quality Truefitt and Hill or Geo.F Trumper shaving cream and a good badger brush, then follow it up with a good aftershave balm and cologne and you'll be good for a few days in between shaves.

When I shave with the Merkur/Feather combo, I go across the grain first go, and then the other direction across the grain. This seems to work for me. But I never go against the grain. And I always do this after a hot, steamy shower. Or I wet a small towel with hot water and hold that against the face for a while. Then you wet the brush for a while so it is very hot, then shake it off a little bit and give it a couple of swirls in the shaving cream. Lather on the face in a circular motion, being quite vigrorous until there is a thick lather and no skin visible.

Then you are good to go. :cool:

21. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Boo Hoo :rolleyes:

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

There was an older thread on here about shaving.

Badger brush and good cream are good starting points. Just adding the brush into the mix I have found that I get closer shaves. I have now since purchased one for the wife since she was using mine to shave her legs with. Worth the money.

I have not used a single blade razor yet though. That is the next step in the process for me!

I picked up my stuff from amazon.com

23. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Ha, me, too.

My skin couldn't take a daily shave.

-t

24. avro707 macrumors 6502a

It's not that much of a change. The DE safety razor is quite easy to use, you don't need much effort - let the weight of the razor do its job, rather than forcing it.

The head of the shaver also retains a lot of heat from the hot water too which is nice. I find my shaving time is much faster with a DE instead of a disposable 3 bladed razor. There is less irritation as well.

Once you go that way, you'll never go back. And the blades are cheap as anything - plus you get a lot of shaves from each blade, also good.