Shd I get 27" Cinema Display now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karhong, Aug 25, 2012.

1. karhong macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a mid-2010 i7 15MBP. System is running fine, and I may want to convert to SSD for the primary storage. I see myself using the system till end-2013.

A friend is offering his 27" Cinema Display for USD760. I hv checked the system; no dead pixels, and in good condition with box. Is this a good buy ?

Im not into photography, but I want screen estate min 2560x1440. Used for CAD drawing as hobbyist at home. Matt vs glossy is no issue.

Or should I wait to see what's to be offered in Sep, or still look into the Dell series ?

Your advice appreciated. Rgds.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I don't see what Apple could do to update this display in the near future - and I do follow display technology and what is coming up. It's a good price and you have had the chance to inspect it.

The Dell's have an AG coating on them that some people really loathe. There are also a wide range of cheaper $300-$500 models available now from Asia via eBay or from some US suppliers; see my post here. The Nixeus model is $450 on Amazon. These get good reviews, they aren't great quality, but they are good enough and getting two instead of one, or just saving the few hundred has seen a lot of people go for them.

None of them may give you the peace of mind and frustration free experience you get with the Apple one though... Decision decisions :)

3. minisuds7 macrumors member

minisuds7

I'd go for it… That's a very good price for a 27" Cinema display. Refurbs on the Apple Store go for $829 right now…