She just isn't like she used to be....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hutch98R1, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Hutch98R1 macrumors newbie

Ya know when you first get her.... Everything works so quickly, you never see the 'thinking' pinwheel, and the biggest of all- the app icons maybe bounced twice before opening the program.

We've only been together for a year and she is slow, icons bouncing 30 times to open apps, having to force quit programs, etc. I lead a simple life: Mail, Safari, MS Office, Adium, and some Photoshop. I keep giving her all the scheduled upgrades. You know how they get... she just isn't like she was when we first got together.

Dr. Phil: What can I do to put some 'pep' back into her???

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

That's not right... I've had my macbook 18 months and I haven't noticed any slowdown...
    how much disk space do you have? have you ever run maintenance scripts, how often do you shutdown/restart instead of sleep?

3. Hutch98R1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I still have 25GB of HD space, of 120GB drive
    It is slow regardless of the RAM usage
    I restart about once a week.

I have not run any maintenance scripts on this computer... on my last PowerBook is just seemed to add to/prolong my problems instead of help them.

What is your advice on maintenance?

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I'll 2nd that my daughter's 2 year old MPRO has 2 GB of memory in it and it still runs great. We added Leopard to it when Leopard first came out and it is as fast as the day we bought it.

The 1st reply to your note said to check the disk space. Very true, a disk that is above 90% full will slow you down.

Icons bounce no more than 3 times before opening on her machine and usually only once. You could also monitor your machine to see what it taking up all the cpu cycles.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

My daughter has Leopard and we don't run any maintanence scripts on her MPRO. When Tiger was on it we did run the daily, weekly, and monthly scripts found in /etc.

I think it's called activity monitor to check what is using your cpu. I'm on a PC right now so I can't check that for you.

6. Hutch98R1 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I sit here now, with only Mail and Safari open, my CPU is 92% idle.
    Things are working more quickly right now, but this isn't always the case.

How many processes should be running at one time? I have like 40 running right now, and I did a restart 30min ago.

I have actually never run a script before. What can I do to maintenance my computer?

7. mdhwoods macrumors regular

Permissions errors on the hd are notorious for osx slowdown. Have you run a verify on the hard drive through disk utility?

8. Hutch98R1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not Verified Permissions in a long time (or maybe never on this computer).

I will do that. Clean some stuff off my hard drive. I also just downloaded Cocktail and Onyx and will try those also.