SheepShaver - any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GeeYouEye, Apr 5, 2007.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I've got an almost 3 year old powerbook G4, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a MacBook Pro sometime in the next few months. There's one catch: I need my retro-gaming fix every so often, and there's no Classic on Intel machines. The most popular alternative appears to be SheepShaver, but I'd like to hear a few firsthand or even secondhand accounts of it working, as well as any major bugs, installation issues, and performance issues before I commit.

Thoughts?

2. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Apple computers seems to garner the most interesting app names! What is sheepshaver? The mental image is funny!:D

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You know that SheepShaver is free right? It's an open-source project.
    Either way it works just fine as long as you have all the components to get it up and running, but I can help you out with that one (check your PM's).

Another decent choice is Basilisk II though it only runs up to System 8.6.
    For those not familiar with SheepShaver it is an emulator for Classic Mac OS's.

4. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Oh yes, it's not a commitment to SheepShaver I'm talking about, it's a commitment to x86 I need to be sure of. ;)

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The only reason stopping you from upgrading is your "retro-gaming fix"? Not a very good reason stopping you. Go get one!

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, Sheepshaver runs well with only 256MB RAM, but the more the better if you have it :)