SheepShaver, Mac OS 9, and beyond Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wrldwzrd89, Mar 21, 2010.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Does anyone remember Apple deprecating QuickDraw with Leopard? Evidently, Apple removed support for compiling applications that use QD in SL (by removing the needed header files completely) but left the binary library around. I strongly suspect that applications such as SheepShaver, which depend on QuickDraw and cannot easily move to Quartz, will fatally break in 10.7 and beyond... which is bad news for people like me, who want to run Mac OS 9 on their Intel Macs. If anyone else is in this situation, there is a fix: update the application to use SDL 1.2.14 for its graphics drawing, since SDL 1.2.14 uses Quartz. I know, the library's meant for games, but it works VERY well for emulators too - so I've heard. Anyway... is there anything I can do in my specific case, to notify the developers of this impending crisis?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't understand your question. Sheepshaver is not a MacOS X application, per se. It was an application for the BeOS and Linux that was ported to the Mac. Currently, Sheepshaver runs on the following operating systems:
    1. Unix with X11 (Linux i386/x86_64/ppc, NetBSD 2.x, FreeBSD 3.x)
    2. Mac OS X (PowerPC and Intel)
    3. Windows NT/2000/XP
    4. BeOS R4/R5 (PowerPC)
    Three of the four do not support QuickDraw and never did. So exactly how is deprecating QuickDraw in MacOS X the crisis that you make it out to be?

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I was not aware of that... thanks for the info! That said, the Mac OS X port uses NSQuickDrawView, presumably to make drawing the Mac OS 9 window simpler. I know this because every time I run SheepShaver I get a log message about NSQuickDrawView being deprecated. Secondly, I'm sure there are plenty of other older applications that rely on QuickDraw, some of which will never be updated - I happen to use at least 2 such applications as well.