Sheffield bomber crash flypast

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by scubachap, Feb 22, 2019.

1. scubachap macrumors member

Thought I'd just pop this up here. 75 years ago today a crippled Fortress returning from a bombing mission tried to crash land in a park in Sheffield. A young lad called Tony Foulds was in the park with his mates, the bomber crew seeing the boys tried to wave them away so they could come down in the park. Tony and his mates (not realising what was going on) just excitedly waved back and stayed where they were. To save the boys the plane aborted it's attempt and as it tried to climb again the only working engine failed and the bomber crashed killing all on board.

Since then, every day, Tony has quietly tended a small memorial to the crew. A short while ago after a chance encounter with a BBC journalist the story came to national attention and today on the anniversary thousands turned out to witness a flypast over the park.

Tony got his flypast and a fitting memorial to the crew of Mi Amigo

Full story here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47323045

2. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

That is the natural karmic reaction or justice meted out on 'Mis Amigos' for dropping their deathly payload on the heads of uncounted innocent women and children the other side of the Channel.

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm sorry I think your comment is uncalled for. It was a time of total war between the Allies and the Axis, and London was also under intensive bombing. I walk past a memorial to the victims of Nazi bombing in London almost every week.

If you feel the Allied bombing campaign was excessive, many people would agree with you, some themselves working in the RAF at the time. You should focus on the role of Bomber Harris who was in command of the Anglo-American strategic bombing campaign against Nazi Germany at the height of WWII.

Having a go at the poor sods who risked and lost their lives in the planes on both sides is not on. They were doing what they thought was the right thing to do and dying in the process. Millions from both sides lost their lives and it was a long time ago.

6. vkd, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 8:55 AM

vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

If it bothers you, just go another route, catch a bus, etc.

I am not having a go at any poor sods, my friend. I am just, from a neutral position, pointing out the effects of the natural laws of karma, of cause and effect. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Pleading ignorance or, perhaps in this case, perceived heroic necessity, does not change anything in the absolute sense. Take for example a fire, it does not differentiate if an uneducated child tests its potency: fire burns. Same thing here: kill and be killed. Therefore an intelligent, pious person will do everything necessary to avoid generating negative karma (bad reactions). You may respond, "They could not, they had to defend their country from the enemy." In that case, you have to look at a deeper, more wide-ranging level and ask, "Why were those specific persons put into that specific horrible situation?" I think you will find that the answer will again be because of karma.