Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Ugh, is it annoying the crap out of anyone else that Apple has a 7+ day backlog of apps pending approval including apps like Twinkle which have vital bug fixes they've already submitted to Apple days ago and crap like THIS is getting approved:

(click for bigger)

irepublican.png

idemocrat.png

From acclaimed author Shekhar Yadav, creator of the following trashware-

http://i.a-13.net/********.png

Come on Apple, give us a break. This is just ridiculous.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
don't use it. it's that simple.

apple's made some bizarre choices regarding app approval. they can pay for the impact it makes to the app store image to approve these kinds of apps. it's still not stopping people from buying them anyway.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Don't you think at the bare minimum they should be prioritizing application updates to new apps that serve quite literally no function other than displaying a JPEG?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Don't you think at the bare minimum they should be prioritizing application updates to new apps that serve quite literally no function other than displaying a JPEG?

it's apple's choice, i don't agree with it, but they've approved the likes of all those flashlights and tip calculators too. caveat emptor.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree. Don't buy it.

The guy making these is charging for them (I pity the suckers who buy it), so if people don't, maybe he'll stop.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I bet he's made a boatload selling apps.

People will buy anything that's cheap...do you know how many dollar stores there are in the US?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Hopefully the first thing he does with his profits is hire a graphic designer to make some new icons.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Those apps would be bad enough even if they were free but those are rip-offs for $.99. That's just horrible. I could probably write an app like that in a few days and I don't even know Objective C...

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
You'll be glad to know he's done it again:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284945893&mt=8

Literally, I was looking at all iPhone applications and side by side was a free 8 Ball game, and a 99 cent version next to it. Guess who was charging 99 cents.

And it looks horrible. From the screen, you don't see the ball, just a huge plain triangle. And there's only an ask button, you mean you don't even shake the iPhone? Does it animate, or just show a text message in the middle of the screen? When do you press an ask button to get an answer from an 8 Ball?

Yes, there are other pay for 8 Ball apps, but they at least show a noticeable jump in quality over the free version, even editable answers, or realistic animations, while this guys 99 cent version is worse than free ones.

But if it was denied, then was to be the judge of all the other apps?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
It does suck to a degree, but I don't want apple making judgment calls as to what I mind find valuable nor how much value I might place on a particular tool or application.

So I for one am glad they have taken a hands-off approach in this area.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Here is the problem, Apple cannot and should not discriminate against apps. We all think these apps suck, sure, but what if you made an app, thought it was great, but had problems getting it approved because someone else thought it sucked? Who is the judge on weather an app sucks or not? If one app sucks only a little less than another app, how many less sucky apps go through before the suckier one does? I hope you get my point, obviously this guy is a fruit, but there is no way to say which apps are good and which ones are bad.

It's bad enough enterprise partners get pushed through first, does that mean their app is better or worse than some guy programming in his basement?

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
wow. i am loosing alot of respect for apple with some of the crap they have allowed, those apps are pathetic, and should be deleated

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
wow. i am loosing alot of respect for apple with some of the crap they have allowed, those apps are pathetic, and should be deleated

If you see an app in the store called "Spell Checker", please buy it for yourself.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Apple's guidelines are there to prevent poorly programmed apps or illegal content.

Apple can't be used to determine what is a good or bad app based on content. That's up to the consumer.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
If you see an app in the store called "Spell Checker", please buy it for yourself.

well, aren't we the funny one.

sorry to have offended your company, fanboy. Oh yeah, and i am not using my ipod to type this, and it has a BUILT IN spell corrector.

gibjer

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2003
What they need is to charge more for "Pro" developer apps like a 5k buy in for your bigger companies, then have your "Independents" or amature app sections

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
well, aren't we the funny one.

sorry to have offended your company, fanboy. Oh yeah, and i am not using my ipod to type this, and it has a BUILT IN spell corrector.

Wait... I'm a fanboy because you don't know how to spell? And you used your iPod with built-in spell checker? Well perhaps you have that feature turned off. :rolleyes:

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Actually i'm going to say Tom Peck of AppEngines is far worse.

he's charing .99 for free book.

there's a free app out there that has all the same books and much more called Stanza

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.