Shekhar Yadav is by far the worst offender in iPhone app crapware!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Hodapp, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Ugh, is it annoying the crap out of anyone else that Apple has a 7+ day backlog of apps pending approval including apps like Twinkle which have vital bug fixes they've already submitted to Apple days ago and crap like THIS is getting approved:

(click for bigger)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From acclaimed author Shekhar Yadav, creator of the following trashware-

[​IMG]

Come on Apple, give us a break. This is just ridiculous.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

don't use it. it's that simple.

apple's made some bizarre choices regarding app approval. they can pay for the impact it makes to the app store image to approve these kinds of apps. it's still not stopping people from buying them anyway.

3. Hodapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Don't you think at the bare minimum they should be prioritizing application updates to new apps that serve quite literally no function other than displaying a JPEG?

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

it's apple's choice, i don't agree with it, but they've approved the likes of all those flashlights and tip calculators too. caveat emptor.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I agree. Don't buy it.

The guy making these is charging for them (I pity the suckers who buy it), so if people don't, maybe he'll stop.

6. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

that's rather funny.

I don't pretend to figure out how apple operates sometimes.

7. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I bet he's made a boatload selling apps.

People will buy anything that's cheap...do you know how many dollar stores there are in the US?

8. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

This guy is an awesome businessman. I would like to subscribe to his newsletter.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

2,347,261 ?

10. severe macrumors 6502a

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

Hopefully the first thing he does with his profits is hire a graphic designer to make some new icons.

12. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Those apps would be bad enough even if they were free but those are rip-offs for $.99. That's just horrible. I could probably write an app like that in a few days and I don't even know Objective C...

13. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

You'll be glad to know he's done it again:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284945893&mt=8

Literally, I was looking at all iPhone applications and side by side was a free 8 Ball game, and a 99 cent version next to it. Guess who was charging 99 cents.

And it looks horrible. From the screen, you don't see the ball, just a huge plain triangle. And there's only an ask button, you mean you don't even shake the iPhone? Does it animate, or just show a text message in the middle of the screen? When do you press an ask button to get an answer from an 8 Ball?

Yes, there are other pay for 8 Ball apps, but they at least show a noticeable jump in quality over the free version, even editable answers, or realistic animations, while this guys 99 cent version is worse than free ones.

But if it was denied, then was to be the judge of all the other apps?

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It does suck to a degree, but I don't want apple making judgment calls as to what I mind find valuable nor how much value I might place on a particular tool or application.

So I for one am glad they have taken a hands-off approach in this area.

15. jalpert macrumors 6502

Here is the problem, Apple cannot and should not discriminate against apps. We all think these apps suck, sure, but what if you made an app, thought it was great, but had problems getting it approved because someone else thought it sucked? Who is the judge on weather an app sucks or not? If one app sucks only a little less than another app, how many less sucky apps go through before the suckier one does? I hope you get my point, obviously this guy is a fruit, but there is no way to say which apps are good and which ones are bad.

It's bad enough enterprise partners get pushed through first, does that mean their app is better or worse than some guy programming in his basement?

16. The General macrumors 601

17. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

wow. i am loosing alot of respect for apple with some of the crap they have allowed, those apps are pathetic, and should be deleated

18. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

If you see an app in the store called "Spell Checker", please buy it for yourself.

19. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Apple's guidelines are there to prevent poorly programmed apps or illegal content.

Apple can't be used to determine what is a good or bad app based on content. That's up to the consumer.

20. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

well, aren't we the funny one.

sorry to have offended your company, fanboy. Oh yeah, and i am not using my ipod to type this, and it has a BUILT IN spell corrector.

21. gibjer macrumors member

What they need is to charge more for "Pro" developer apps like a 5k buy in for your bigger companies, then have your "Independents" or amature app sections

22. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Wait... I'm a fanboy because you don't know how to spell? And you used your iPod with built-in spell checker? Well perhaps you have that feature turned off. :rolleyes:

23. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Actually i'm going to say Tom Peck of AppEngines is far worse.

he's charing .99 for free book.

there's a free app out there that has all the same books and much more called Stanza