Shenmue 3

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Shenmue often seems to be a "love it" or "hate it" but I am firmly in the "love it" camp. I never would have thought we would get part 3 considering part 2 was 18 years ago. I am really excited for this.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
I played the original to death on Dreamcast. More recently I bought Shenmue I & II 'remastered' for my Xbox One X. I have completed the first game again and not long ago started the sequel. I will almost certainly get the third instalment. I understand it isn't coming to Xbox, though? I have a PS4 Pro so I guess it doesn't matter much.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
I played the original to death on Dreamcast. More recently I bought Shenmue I & II 'remastered' for my Xbox One X. I have completed the first game again and not long ago started the sequel. I will almost certainly get the third instalment. I understand it isn't coming to Xbox, though? I have a PS4 Pro so I guess it doesn't matter much.
I'm not sure. That would be ironic because I remember being so upset that Sega made a deal to release Shenmue 2 only on X-box in the USA without making a USA Dreamcast version.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
I'm not sure. That would be ironic because I remember being so upset that Sega made a deal to release Shenmue 2 only on X-box in the USA without making a USA Dreamcast version.
Think it was the same in the UK. I recall starting Shenmue II on my original Xbox but the frame rate was so bad I gave up. Think it must have been like 10fps in the harbour at the beginning. Bad port, I guess.

I really must continue with it now on my One X and get up to date before Shenmue III is released :cool:

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Think it was the same in the UK. I recall starting Shenmue II on my original Xbox but the frame rate was so bad I gave up. Think it must have been like 10fps in the harbour at the beginning. Bad port, I guess.

I really must continue with it now on my One X and get up to date before Shenmue III is released :cool:
I never had an Xbox. A friend of mine let me borrow his import version of Shenmue 2 so that I could play it on my Dreamcast. It was a really fun game that expanded the universe. Such a shame USA Dreamcast owners were shut out.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
I just went and looked. Wow, it's been over 4 years since I donated to the Kickstarter campaign. I'm downloading the game right now.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Shenmue 3 is a real pleasure to play, it changes classic AAA games like Ghost Recon BP or Rage 2
The best quote from a review I read said, "It feels like a remaster of a game from that time period that never existed." I think that's a good thing!