Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teronke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Hopefully someone can help me with this quick question: -

Had to use Sherlock today to look up a word in the Dictionary channel. The channel appears as per usual and can search as per usual but the large dictionary pane remains blank. The thesaurus is working fine though.

Everything else and the other channels are working fine

Is there something wrong with the server or is it my copy of Sherlock???

If it's the latter does anyone know how I can extract the Sherlock package from the OS X 10.3 disk??? I've a copy of Pacifist but can't seem to locate the Sherlock package.

Thanks in advance

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I use dictionary.com while at work on OS 8.6. I use OmniDictionary at home... it works great. I think Sherlock is on it's way out... perhaps Apple should add the best of Sherlock into Safari. But it is the least used app on my mac. I use it 2 times a year to look up a map. I use to check out movie listings... but the listings in my area got dropped. I'm kind of sore about that. So I say screw Sherlock. Apple should abandon this all together.

Teronke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
j33pd0g said:
I use dictionary.com while at work on OS 8.6. I use OmniDictionary at home... it works great. I think Sherlock is on it's way out... perhaps Apple should add the best of Sherlock into Safari. But it is the least used app on my mac. I use it 2 times a year to look up a map. I use to check out movie listings... but the listings in my area got dropped. I'm kind of sore about that. So I say screw Sherlock. Apple should abandon this all together.
I think Sherlock is great. Good thing is that it's much quicker in OS10.3.

I love it because it's a quick way to access dictionary.com. Also a quick way to access guitar tabs and a good way to locate pics.

It's just a matter of getting accustomed to using it and not blindly using Safari to find all these sites.

Anyway that's my two bobs worth

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Teronke said:
I think Sherlock is great. Good thing is that it's much quicker in OS10.3.

I love it because it's a quick way to access dictionary.com. Also a quick way to access guitar tabs and a good way to locate pics.

But if it doesn't work, isn't that a problem? Dictionary isn't working for me either--it often seems like some portion or other of Sherlock isn't working. The only thing I use Sherlock for is movie times. That usually works pretty well. For everything else there is generally a quicker alternative on the Web.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I use to love sherlock... well I still do but not on my new iMac. My new iMac is lacking all the channels, I think that there is another recent thread regarding this. My most favored was the dictionary, but it seems to be gone. Were these, movies, flights, dictionary, etc... pulled by apple? or the owners?

The only options that I have are Internet, Pictures and Stocks.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Yeah, I noticed this last night; there's obviously something wrong with however Apple's system is communicating with Dictionary.com, causing it not to display any text when you do a search (although the search is obviously working, since it does offer spelling suggestions). I've seen problems like this once before with Sherlock (kept screwing up the searches), and I assume Apple will get it worked out soon. In the mean time, you can just use Dictionary.com directly.

And I'm another Sherlock user; the Dictionary tool is indispensible, the auto-translator is about ten times easier than any site that does the same thing, and the movie lookups are handy, too. The phonebook with map feature is wicked-cool, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.