Sherlock and Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Deepdale, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Before leaving Apple’s Soho store last week, I went up to the employee nearest me (a young woman about 20) and the following brief conversation took place.

Me: “I realize it may be ignored by many and underutilized by even more, but do you know whether or not the application Sherlock will continue to be supported once Leopard is released in late October? I have always liked it and hope it stays around.”

Employee: “I think that is very unlikely it will be seen again.”

Me: “Really? So you’ve heard something about this?”

Employee: “No, but since it has not been supported in Tiger, I cannot see it being brought back in the new OS later this year.”

Me: “I am unable to stay and continue our discussion since I must get back to my office now. However, if you take a few moments to look in the Applications folder, you will see that Sherlock did not die when Tiger was released. Perhaps the future is bleak, but there still may be a glimmer of hope given that it still exists.”

She had a look of utter bewilderment as if she had just spoken to the most misinformed person to ever enter that store. Has anybody heard anything concerning Sherlock’s survival in Leopard?

2. MacRohde macrumors regular

MacRohde

Yes Sherlock is still there but most of the channels doesn't work anymore, do they?

I'm sure Sherlock is on it's way out, and I would guess it will not be in Leopard - maybe some betatesters can comment on it.

3. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

They seem to be functional when I use the program at Apple. You are right ... betatesters can best answer this question.

4. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

not for me

Oh, how I loved sherlock back in OS 9. It amazed my friends!
    I haven't used it in a long time, so I opened it up. The Movie app still lists times and theaters, but not movie posters or previews (at least for me). Then it crashed. I can hear its death throws, but come on Sherlock was a great idea 10 years ago. Its time to take it out back and put it out of its misery.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It explains why Apple came out with the Movie widget. That was last functionality that wasn't replaced. I also noticed the Sherlock Movie channel has been missing with trailer and poster.

It is a shame the Watson program doesn't exist anymore either.

6. MacRohde macrumors regular

MacRohde

Watson...hm can't really remember that - wasn't it some weird browser? :confused:

7. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

5 will get you 10 it's not included in Leopard.

8. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

I know it's not in the latest beta release. I might be able to still run it though. I'll see what dragging to my apps folder does.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Sherlock was a copy of it and eventually the developer pulled out of the Mac market.

http://www.karelia.com/watson/

10. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'll miss Sherlock if they do away with it. I love it's convenience, I was shocked when I discovered it sitting in my Apps. folder. No widget can replace it...