Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Today I discovered Sherlock -- it's much more rad than I originally thought. Hurrah for Sherlock.

So anyway, I was customizing the toolbar when I noticed a news option -- News from Japan. Fine and well, but there were no options for news from other places -- say I don't know, the US (where I am)?

Needless to say, I found this odd. I bought my machine in the US and everything's in English, so why do I have the option for news (presumably about Japan, in Japanese) and not the option for news (about the US / World in general, in English)?

Just curious! Thanks!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
dotnina said:
So anyway, I was customizing the toolbar when I noticed a news option -- News from Japan. Fine and well, but there were no options for news from other places -- say I don't know, the US (where I am)?
Yep, it's just another example of how US-centric Sherlock is ;)

Try looking under "other channels" instead of "Apple channels," WorldNews might be more to your liking. It picks up Yahoo, BBC and CSM, and you'll have a pull-down to narrow the news to the categories you want.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Savage Henry said:
Man, why do you want Sherlock??!

I find better places around the net for all of Sherlock's services. Unless it gets zapped up in power come Tiger I'm going remove it to spare up a couple of megs of valuable hard drive space!

Yeah, I used to think Sherlock was useful only for computer / internet newbies. Now I realize it's actually more useful than it initially seems (for some things, anyway). The "Stocks" thing tracks news and shows a graph about whichever stocks you like -- all of them are neatly organized in a chart for you. The "Movie" finder is so rad -- you immediately get a trailer / description / showtimes / runtime / movie poster for whichever movie you'd like.

I know you can do these things with a browser "the old fashioned way," but it saves a lot of time not having to go from page to page and look up everything individually.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
dotnina said:
The "Movie" finder is so rad -- you immediately get a trailer / description / showtimes / runtime / movie poster for whichever movie you'd like.
That's my favorite part, and actually, the only part I really use. It's just convienent and quick.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

Attachments

• Sherlock.png
    Sherlock.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 117
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.