She's 3 years old!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonehype, Jan 24, 2016.

1. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Hi All,

My MacBook Pro is three years old next month.

It has had the following replacement parts
    Fan
    Logic Board (Less then a month)

Now I have a dead pixel, and the fan is making a clicking noise.

I will get it booked in for a repair, you think any chance Apple will give me an extra year warranty? Quite annoyed nearly 3 years old and just had a logic board, now needs a new screen! What will march bring when I'm out of warranty!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, they'll replace the parts that need to be replaced and you'll get 90 days of warranty on the replacement parts.

It happens. Most Macs, or computers in general, function as they should for years and years. My parents have a late 2006 MacBook that still works well aside from the original battery. The only repair it ever needed was the DC in board and MagSafe adapter. My mid 2009 MacBook Pro just received a new battery and a replacement trackpad but otherwise works fine.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Not a chance of getting an extra year of warranty. Not sure why you think you are entitled to an extra year of warranty.

Its strange that you would be annoyed because a hardware components failed and the manufacture honored their commitment in the extended warranty. Isn't that the whole point of you buying the extended warranty.

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

early 2011 MBP and still rocking. No repair or replacement. I've never bought any AppleCare too. :)

5. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

My 2012 MBP is going on 4 years old and she's still rocking. Wife is using it for school now and it's still a solid workhorse. The only thing that's going to change with it soon is the HDD is going to be replaced by an SSD. I had the screen replaced in the first year but never extended warranty. No problems at all.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Apple (and most other manufacturers, I would think) bet that you will purchase the extended warranty, and that you will never use it. As you can see, one major repair can go well past the cost of that extended warranty. Many folks do get by without costing Apple any of that warranty, and - you win!

7. robertparker macrumors newbie

I just took my late 2011 MBP in for video issue.

Apple "Genius" said that it passed all diagnostics and was unable to reproduce the issue and said that it's a software issue.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, in fact I can't recall them over doing that. I think they'll provide a standard warranty (I think 90 days or something) on the parts being replaced but they will not extend the entire warranty by a year.