ShhMBP no longer works with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ksmith173, Sep 3, 2009.

1. ksmith173 macrumors member

Did a fresh install of Snow Leopard on my Core Duo MBP, and installed ShhMBP to get rid of the whine. When I restarted, I received an alert stating:

Insecure Startup Item disabled.
    "/Library/StartupItems/ShhMBP" has bot been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

Any other MBP users have this problem? How can I apply the appropriate security settings?

2. CosyCat macrumors newbie

same problem for me ..hope there will be a fix soon.

:(

3. cmlccie macrumors newbie

com.apple.quarantine Attribute Causing Issues

I had a similar problem with a Wireshark startup script.

Try running the following:
    sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/StartupItems/ShhMBP

This will remove the com.apple.quarantine attribute that the OS is setting on files which have been downloaded from the Internet.

If you want to confirm that this is the problem before running the above command, the run "ls -l -@ /Library/StartupItems" and look for the com.apple.quarantine attribute on your folder.

Hope this helps!

4. ksmith173 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, but that attribute is not on the folder :(

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same problem. It's really disappointing that you can't select wether you want to disable certain programs.

It should at least let you choose.

6. rezzo macrumors regular

rezzo

7. septicdeath macrumors member

Same issue, but with Intego Netbarrier X5

Maybe as more applications start to have issues someone will be able to point to a fix, I just upgraded CLAM AV to Intego Security package with Spam, and after installing and rebooting, the NetbarrierKPi startup item is disabled as well, since I paid a c-note for the package, I am expecting a little more support than you have been getting with your ShhMBP app. I'll post if they prove to be any help, right now their support is telling me to modify my preferences in my System Prefs since snow leopard has new security features (o'well, I asked him to point out these controls since we know they don't exist here).

BTW, the attribute wasn't set on the directory and attempting to update the quarantine file didn't do anything.

8. moep666 macrumors newbie

Found a solution: I used Transmit to apply the properties of folder Library/StartupItems to all objects contained (ShhMBP).

In detail:
    Owner: root
    Group: wheel

Unfortunately I don’t know how to handle this without Transmit, but maybe someone else do.

9. ksmith173 thread starter macrumors member

That can be done with this command:
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/StartupItems/ShhMBP/

Gave it a shot, and it seems to have worked. No longer received the alert message, and the whine seems to be gone!

10. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you...

11. deepdark macrumors newbie

same problem here

Snow Leopard

mbp:StartupItems senadaruc$ ls -l -@ /Library/StartupItems/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 25 Ağu 15:44 NetBarrierKPI
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 17 Ağu 14:39 ParallelsDesktopTransporter
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 17 Eyl 03:23 ShhMBP
    drwxrwxr-x 4 root wheel 136 16 Eyl 09:41 Simp
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 23 Mar 19:58 rEFItBlesser
    mbp:StartupItems senadaruc$

i have problem with NetBarrierKPI and Simp any help please???

12. septicdeath macrumors member

Check out your permissions on Simp, for Snow Leopard to NOT complain about insecure items, the ownership and permissions must be root:wheel and 755. I've had luck by actually going to the Root and get info (thats on StartupItems), which has the correct permissions for the folder, and then inherit them to the rest of the children directories (simply click on the "apply to all enclosed items") this will correct the permissions on simp, and interior permissions on items in netbarrier.

This is how I got mine to work, and posted over at apple forums and have had a couple other people get success. I believe one or two people have claimed this has not worked for them, but Im not sure why. Or what they did wrong. I can tell you though, goto one of the folders that IS working and change the ownership on the directory, say to you, or just ADD your username to the permission list in getinfo, and reboot, watch how it fails this directory now as well. Don't forget to change it back, has to be system r/w & wheel read only, everyone read only, but this is how I learned

13. deepdark macrumors newbie

its working now thanks

thanks for your help its working now .....

14. WillyMukas macrumors newbie

Thanks all - same prob with ParallelsDesktopImporter

Thanks guys this led me to a fix with the ParallelsDesktopImporter startup item. At startup a popup occurred labelling it an "insecure startup item".

The above sudo command seems to have fixed it. THANKS!

Note: replace SHmbb (or whaterver) with AppName

Cheers! :)

15. unincbaby macrumors newbie

Hi guys.. i'm having the same ''startup item disabled'' for my Wacom graphic tablet.. I read all the thread but I don't understand your solutions... hhaa I'm kinda new with Mac but I have a mbp too. Some help please?

16. marinatin macrumors newbie

ShhMBP Causing Overheat

ShhMBP is running fine with Snow Leopard, but it feels like it's overheating. I heard that it is because ShhMBP makes the CPU run 100% all the time? Solutions?

17. MotoMaster macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as you. I just recently got a Wacom tablet and now I get that pop-up everytime my MBP starts up. I don't know what to do, I'm not that computer savy. Can anyone please help?

18. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I think you fix it by updating your drivers as noted here.

19. MotoMaster macrumors newbie

I actually tried that. I have updated everything... drivers & software. I'm at a loss! :confused:

20. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I though it was only supposed to run at about 1% CPU. Check Activity Monitor and make sure it is showing all processes.

21. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know of a similar fix when using Windows 7 in bootcamp?

22. m85476585 macrumors 65816

23. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks Matt.

24. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Ok, I'm lost.

I downloaded Python, but don't know what to do next. Where do I input the text? In Python command line?

25. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Open up notepad and copy the script in there. Save it with a .py extension (to do so you either need to type "name.py" in quotes for the file name or select all files as the type and type the name without the quotes. It helps if you have Windows set to always show extensions for known file types so you can make sure you don't end up with name.py.txt).

Method 1:
    If the .py file is recognized with an icon for Python you should be able to double-click it. It should run in the command line and you will just see a blank window. It might open in Idle, the Python IDE, in which case press F5 to run it.

Method 2:
    Open Idle from the Python start menu folder. Go to File->New, paste the script, save it, and press F5 to run it.

Method 3:
    Assuming Python installed itself in environment variables, the easiest way to run the script may be in the command line. Go to Start->Run, type cmd, and hit enter. At the command prompt type "python " (without quotes but with a space after it) then drag the script file from wherever you saved it to the command window and hit enter.

You should be able to verify that it is running if Python.exe is using ~1% CPU in Activity monitor.

Edit: I just tested these 3 procedures and they should all work. Double-clicking on the script file is probably easiest.