Shield without "rubber" feeling?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by frosse, Aug 19, 2010.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

Is there a shield that doesn't have that rubber feeling to it? I've heard that ZAGG's InvisibleShield is the best for protection but it's supposed to have that strange feeling to it, I want a shield that doesn't feel like a shield :p.

2. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

That's the "orange peel" effect. I'd recommend the Power Support shields. They feel like the glass.

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

PowerSupport for the front. And if you want back protection get a matte skin.

4. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I gotta tell you, after reading about the power support shields (after I had already ordered the ZAGG) I am leaning towards keeping the zagg. Yes, there is a "rubbery" feeling to it, but I don't find it to be bad for using the touch screen at all. What I love about it is how grippy the phone becomes, which to me seems like it will reduce the chance of the thing slipping out of my hand.

When I first got the phone a little over a week ago, I had to rock it naked because I am too cheap to buy a case when a free one is coming. So I just kept the factory plastic pieces on the phone for the week (I cut the tabs off the bottom) which made it hard to hear the other person on the phone. The zagg came in yesterday and I installed it. No bubbles, no imperfections or anything. Yes there is an orange peel look to it, but to me it doesn't affect the screen performance or anything.

In fact, I am so happy with it so far that I am considering just selling my free case and keeping the IP4 with only the Zagg skin. My only concern now is longevity - if the corners start to peel or what not then it will have to go, but it has only been about 18 hours so far... We'll see.

5. wattsja macrumors regular

I was pretty much in the same boat. When my iPhone came in, I already had a Zagg so I installed it before I ever even turned on the iPhone 4. To me it looked and felt like I expected. However, I decided to try the SGP oleophobic and it is like some one installed a brand new screen. Because I installed the Zagg before ever turning on the iPhone, I didn't realize just HOW clear the screen was until I peeled the Zagg off and now I will not be able to go back to a Zagg.

Understand, that last statement has nothing to do with the feel of the Zagg, just the clarity you lose.

6. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I don't feel like the screen is less clear. If I viewed it at and angle that caught the orange peel right maybe... But to me, the display shines brightly through it. I don't see any distortion at all. That's just me though. I have used it without anything at all and I don't see enough of a discernable difference to send the zagg back. Maybe that will change in time.