Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saldawop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
= ! ,right? Well ,not on my MB . I can get all of the characters above the other numbers without a problem . I have tried using both the MB keyboard ,an external Apple Wireless keyboard and an old USB keyboard.

Also I am getting the "frog" sound every few seconds !!!

Obviously I am not typing this on the MB :rolleyes::rolleyes:

saldawop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
I logged into my kids accounts and it works as it should . Log into my own account (administrator) and it doesnt work .

saldawop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Thats what I thought, although I have never even opened up the keyboard shortcut panel before . Restored defaults anyway and its just the same . Obviously the ! is not something I use too often ,so I cannot say for certain if it worked before or not ,having only had the MB a week or so. Very strange.:confused:

May reinstall OSX if I get no answer over the weekend .may seem a bit drastic ,but its bugging me now :D .

saldawop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Booting up in Safe Mode to the same account and its OK . So what does that mean? Something I have installed is causing the problem?Havent installed anything for a while ,apart from updates such as ITunes .But as said previously ,it isnt the most common key combo I use so I dont know how long its been like this.Could/Should I delete any apps I have installed one by one and see what happens?

ag227

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
you could try making a new administrator account and see if it is ok on that, if it is you could just copy your personal files across from the account you use now and then delete the account that has the problem and use the new one.

its easier than deleting the apps one at a time and reinstalling os x...

saldawop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Well it seems I finally figured it out .Although I must admit it was by accident.Had some text highlighted and pressed Shift+1 .Suddenly my computer spoke to me :eek: .I have no idea how it happened ,but went into the sys pref / speech and unticked a box and it all seems back to normal. Must admit I was playing around with the speech settings the first day I bought the MB but thought I had returned all settings back to their originl settings..obviously not !!!!!!!!! <:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.