shift+del in windows (mac equivalent)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by invasian, Jun 26, 2007.

1. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

In windows, you can delete files permanently (without it going to the recycle bin) by clicking on the file and pressing shift+del.

Is there an equivalent to that in mac? I just want to delete the file and bypass the trash. What is weird is that you can't delete individual files in the trash, which would be ok with me too, but you can't.

What do you guys suggest?

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

CMD+Delete will do what you want, I believe...Be careful with it!

3. invasian thread starter macrumors regular

invasian

i was aware of cmd+del but that just brings it straight to the trash, which is what I don't want. :(

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

There isn't a keyboard shortcut to do this. However after Command + Deleting files you can Command + Option + Shift + Delete to empty the trash (without a confirmation box).

That's the one you've got to really be careful of.

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

if you are happy with the command line you can do it from there
    *CAUTION, POWERFUL AND DANGEROUS COMMAND, USE UNDER ADVISEMENT, CHECK YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, THERE IS NO BACKOUT OTHER THAN BACKUPS.*

if the file you want rid off is incriminating.jpg and it's on your desktop the command is

rm ~/Desktop/incriminating.jpg

to make things easier and safer, open terminal, type rm and click and drag the file you want to delete to the terminal.app. It will fill in the full file name and path, then just hit enter. Of course you can only do one file at a time like this.
    This will remove the file without the trash, with no warning prompt.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

No, that is the shortcut for sending files to the trash.

As far as I know there is no keyboard shortcut for deleting files permanently, although doubtlessly someone will know of 3rd party software which provides this functionality.

7. invasian thread starter macrumors regular

invasian

I suppose this is a reasonable answer to what I want to do. It would be nice if there was a faster way to do this, but it will suffice for now. Thanks. I keep forgetting about the terminal.

8. numlock macrumors 68000

I believe you get a contextual menu options for a complete delete with compost. Think you have to pay for compost (perhaps im wrong) but this option always stuck in my contextual menu.

You do have to be very careful though. Few times i accidentally deleted files with it.

If you are hellbent on a keyboard shortcut. Then you can create an automator script to delete the file and assign a keyboard shortcut for it through a 3rd party app.

http://www.abracode.com/free/cmworkshop/

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

This also happens to be the key-combo to boot a PowerBook 1400 from a CD. I believe it's the only Macintosh which wouldn't boot from a CD simply by holding down "C" at startup.

10. pedrofaber macrumors newbie

pedrofaber

I think command+option+delete will do what you want! ;)