Shift + Hide

Discussion in 'macOS' started by diamonddods, May 19, 2007.

1. diamonddods macrumors newbie

I'm new to the forum so pardon me if this is common knowledge but has anybody seen what happens when you press shift + hide?
    My shift key sticks sometimes so I find different shift commands by accident.
    Try holding down shift and hide a window. The animation goes all slooooooowwwww! Its pretty mesmerizing. This works for other osx animated features like dashboard too. Is there any reason for this?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you mean shift+minimize? Yes, it does work for other things (although not for hide, which isn't animated to begin with). It's very striking (and annoying if done accidentally) for Exposé. :eek: As for why it exists, I don't know. :eek:

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yep...that's pretty common knowledge. Try holding control and scrolling on your mighty mouse for more fun. Or control-option-command-8.

4. diamonddods thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I meant minimize.

I found the mightymouse ctrl+scroll ball zoom by accident too.

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I love finding these things. Anyone have anymore? The control, option, command 8 is nice. I am just too afraid to try combinations and then not knowing what I did to be able to turn it back.

On a different side note, anyone know why when I visit msn.com and go to a story on the page, then hit back to go back to msn.com, it doesn't keep it in my history and goes to the webpage I went to before MSN.com?

6. diamonddods thread starter macrumors newbie

Hold your mouse over a word in Safari or any other app. in that matter and press Ctrl-Cmd-D. Really cool.

7. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

What does that do?

8. osirisX macrumors regular

The slow motion has been there since 10.0. It was made specifically for Steve when he showed off OS X for the first time.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This is a little trick which has absolutely no purpose. However if you set the Dock Preferences to use the genie effect, then set up a terminal window with the command "killall Dock" (without quotes, don't hit enter just yet). Shift + minimise a safari window, then quickly switch to the terminal window and hit enter. After a little beachball you will end up with an odd shaped useable Safari window, see picture attached. To reset safari just quit and relaunch.

Attached Files:

10. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Weird, can't seem to get it to work on my machine.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can do a terminal line command to make hidden (*not* minimized) apps become transparent in the dock (different from making the whole dock transparent). I really like it. (Source)

defaults write com.apple.dock showhidden -bool true
    killall Dock

This is the effect -- Safari is hidden (Cmd-H) in this picture:

[​IMG]

And here it's back. It's a really subtle effect, but I have this on both my Macs and really like it..

[​IMG]