Shift Recovery Method for 3.2.2 to 3.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by saberahul, Aug 28, 2010.

1. saberahul macrumors 68040

Hi,

I downloaded the 3.2.1.ipa and configured my hosts files as well; however, when I try to hold the shift key and click restore in iTunes, iTunes doesn't prompt me to select the restore file. Rather, it just goes on with the usual restore. I'm on WIN 7 64-bit with the latest iTunes. How would I go about choosing 3.2.1.ipa file in iTunes?

Thanks.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure why it's not working for you, I just did shift-restore and it worked. I'm using Win7 and the latest iTunes.

3. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

I have tried over 3 times and haven't slept all night and it just won't bring up the command to select file. All I receive is "Extracting software" and from then on it goes on with the usual restore as if Shift was never pressed.
    Can anyone give any advice on how i might make it work? I have tried running iTunes in "Run as Admin" mode as well and same thing.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have very little idea. Try emptying out:
    ~USER\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates

5. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Hmm tried that... no luck. Also tried going into DFU mode first and then doing shift restore... still nothing. It just works as if the shift was never pressed. Darn, I really want to go back so I can start using Skype in background again :(

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Are you sure your shift key is working? Maybe try another keyboard? (grasping at straws, i know :()

7. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes, my Shift Key Is Working. Lol. Do you hold the shift key down and click restore or do you press both together? I hold it down and it does nothing. Both shift keys do work though.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hold down shift, then click.

I assume you've rebooted your computer? I don't know what else to suggest! Maybe uninstall and reinstall iTunes? Try on another computer?

9. iThinman macrumors regular

I believe it is specifically left-shift you need to use

(you never know)

10. Legolover64 macrumors regular

This will, sadly, no longer work if you haven't saved your SHSHs with Firmware Umbrella/Cydia in the past. Apple will sign EVERY piece of firmware before it is installed onto any device, and they stopped signing 3.2 and 3.2.1 for the iPad.

Here's how you can save stuff right now to futureproof yourself:
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
    (you don't have to be jailbroken!)

And here's an explanation of this process:
    http://www.saurik.com/id/12

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

11. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Unfortunately, the problem is that I did click on the "make my life easier" when I JB. I have copied and pasted the material into the hosts file and I have also downloaded the 3.2.1 file... but for some darn reason I just cannot get shift-restore to work... even though I did everything right. It just won't pop the window where I can choose the 3.2.1 file to restore to. If somehow I could just do that or get that pop up, I'd be on my way JB'ing again but can't figure out why iTunes won't do it. So, thanks for your suggestions [yes I have tried left and right shift keys and they do work in general] and I have tried visiting the sites and they say the things I have already done, just need the pop up to be able to select 3.2.1 to restore to!

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

13. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

... lol that just shows "The current version (3.2.2) is the latest" as it always did. Hmm... now that I have hit the update key and since every site says to NOT hit that key... am I in deeper trouble? Only if I could get it JB by getting the pop up to choose the right file for restore - stupid Apple, I badly need multi-tasking.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you have access to any other computer?

And just clicking "update" doesn't do anything, you're in trouble only if you actually update to new firmware.

15. bigddybn macrumors member

This has nothing to do with OP problem. The Shift + restore action occurs well before anything is checked. If he doesn't have SHSH on file the restore will simply fail.

16. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

I do have access to another computer but will iTunes let me restore my iPad there?
    So if I were to connect to a different laptop and hit shift-restore [assuming it works] and then connect it back to my laptop and use my previous backup to restore all my apps back, will that work?

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It should. Shift-restore on another computer, then when it asks if you want to set it up as new or restore from backup, just disconnect without doing either. Then bring it back to your regular computer, hook it up, and I think the "set up as new or restore from backup?" dialogue will pop up again, but if it doesn't, right click on the iPad icon, and select "restore from backup" from the pop-up menu.

18. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Yup... that did it! Thanks a lot for all the help. I finally got it to work and also noticed how backgrounder has been updated to work with the current version of Skype (sweeeeeet!).
    Shift+restore worked on Win XP but not on Win 7 64-bit... not sure why that is.