shift-s doesn't work anyone know why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dice-K, May 8, 2007.

1. Dice-K macrumors newbie

Dice-K

Hi,

I have a 4 month old macbook C2D and just found out that for some reason, the shift-s function doesn't work? Its supposed to make a capital s, but I can't do it unless I press caps lock first. The s button by itself works, as you can see, and both shift buttons work as I was able to make the entire alphabet in caps except s...doesn't anyone know why? The wierd thing is, its not just the keyboard on the macbook, I've hooked up an external wireless keyboard and it also cannot do shift s, nothing happens at all! Not sure why I didn't notice this till today, but if anyone has any idea of what might be happening, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kelvin

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Seems odd that you wouldn't notice this until now! Sounds like you might have to fix things in your keyboard preferences. Start a new login and find out if that account has the issue. Something else would be to call Apple and find out if they know what's up, providing you have Applecare of course.

(Sorry for mocking you with my capital s's!)

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Haha, that was mean of you, you even did it in the apology sentence.

I think shift-s must have been set to a shortcut. Go to System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts. See if there's anything in there that uses shift-s. Or you can do a Restore Defaults.

What Macbook C2D doesn't have AppleCare at this moment?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

what happens if you switch to the USA keyboard layout instead of Canadian CSA ?

5. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Sucks that you're having that issue. Surely there's SOMETHING that Apple can do about it. Keep us updated, i'm curious to see what the issue happened to be.

6. Dice-K thread starter macrumors newbie

Dice-K

Hi everyone,

I tried a few things yesterday, and checked the keyboard shortcuts thing and the shift s function wasn't assigned to anything. I repaired disk permissions and that didn't do anything either. I use my iMac a lot more than my MacBook and since my iMac is in the shop for a repair this is the first extensive use that I've had with my MacBook in a while.

The wireless keyboard that I'm using is the one that I was using with my iMac but they didn't need it to repair so I decided to connect to use with my Macbook. I'm wondering if that would have had anything to do with cuz as mentioned, shift s does not work on my wireless keyboard either.

I dunno, I'll maybe phone Apple tomorrow to see if they can suggest anything.

Kelvin

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Did you try creating a new account as SilentPanda suggested? That'll help pin down whether it's a system-wide problem or something specific to your account.

8. Dice-K thread starter macrumors newbie

Dice-K

Hey everyone!

Ok thanks to Silent Panda, I've made a new user account and the shift s function is back in business! Now the question is, what is causing my main user acct to not have that function active? I don't know if Apple will tell me since the 90 tele service is up, and I haven't purchased Apple Care for it yet. So I'm really hoping someone here might be able to come up with a reason or something that I can try, in order to fix it cuz I now know its not a hardware malfunction, its something to do with the software or set up...just don't know which. Guess I'll keep trying. Anyone have any more ideas of things I could try or look at, please let me know. Thanks!

Kelvin

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you open up Terminal.app (should be in Applications/Utilities) in the "defective" account can you type a capital S in there?

My thought, although maybe not correct, is that if it's a keyboard localization issue you will be able to type a capital S but if it's bound to a command instead you'll get the same results.

It's probably a false thought but hey... what else are you gonna do? :) I'm thinking that Terminal.app always types in "English".

10. Dice-K thread starter macrumors newbie

Dice-K

I just opened the Terminal to try as you suggested, but it just beeped at me. some function must be attached to it, just not sure what. I'll keep trying, but knowing what a numbskull I can be, it'll probably be some really simple thing that was turned on that I didn't know about!

11. Dice-K thread starter macrumors newbie

Dice-K

ok see I knew it was something simple! I think it has something to do with the speech command! I was in the keyboard menu and did the shift s and the voice spoke the command "type here to test settings" the same sentence you see when you're testing the reaction speed of the keyboard?

so I know what it is now, how do I make it stop? hehe Thanks!

Kelvin

12. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Try the System Preference/Speech/System Recognition

Also look for the "Turn VoiceOver On or Off" in the Keyboard Shortcuts.

13. Dice-K thread starter macrumors newbie

Dice-K

yay it worked! I figured out that shift s was the command set for "speak selected text" I just changed the button sequence to some random button that I probably won't touch and now shift s is back in business on my main acct! Thank you to everyone for your help!

Kelvin

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You finally got it working and can't even grace us with a single S... for shame.

:D

15. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

What a Shame indeed. Hard to find good help these days... :p

16. Dice-K thread starter macrumors newbie

Dice-K

Sorry about that, Thanks to Silent Panda and everyone else who responded in this thread to help me fix the case of the Shift-S ISSue. :D

17. wiebe macrumors newbie

My shift key now works because of the posts in this thread

Hey just wanted to thank the forum for fixing my SSSSssssssssSSSSSSS 'esss. Same issue and it's been bugging me for some time until I took the time to research the issue. THANKSSSSSS.

18. gorringe macrumors newbie

gorringe

This Forum is Awesome!

I've just gotta say a big thanks to SilentPanda for helping me. I had the same "S" problem. Turns out I did use it as a shortcut :: Command-S for something. I went back to S.P. to change it & Whah-La! My "S" is back in bid'ness!

Thanks Y'all!!

Robb

19. newalta120 macrumors newbie

Happy!

I would like to thank you guys also. My shift-s didn't work either. You don't realize how often you use something till it's gone. Works now thanks to you. SSSSSSSSSSS!

20. DaWarrior180 macrumors newbie

Yesss I Found Out The Solution!!!!

Ok Guys!! Get Ready To Make Your Shift+s To Work And Make A Capital S. Mine DidnT WorK Either But I Found Out The Problem.

Step 1- Go To System Preferences
    Step 2- Go To Speech
    Step 3- Go To Text To Speech
    Step 4- Go To Set Key
    Step 5- On The Box, Press And Hold Command+Shift+s
    Step 6- Now You Are Done

Try To Press Shift+s And It Will Turn To A Capital s. LooK SSSSSSSSS! Lol

Welcome guys,
    -DaWarrior180

21. JCastro macrumors 6502a

This issue was solved two years ago...:confused: Thanks for trying to help though.

22. macEli macrumors newbie

Thank u!

Thank you - fixed the same problem for me.

23. walky macrumors newbie

Shift Key with any letter does not work

My problem is a little different. This year, 2010. I was messing around with speech when the following happened. If I press the shift key continuously only the first letter is capitalized . Kkk (like in Ku Klux..) If I press shift, the letter, depress and press shift-letter it also does not happen. If I place a space between each letter and keep the Shift depressed, all letters are capitalized!

I returned all the setting in mouse, speech and shortcuts to the default and the problem remains. To make all caps in a word I have always to press the caps lock key.

I am using OS 10.6.3, Intel based mac.:cool:

24. dainius macrumors newbie

And my problem is that when i pres shift + ' . I can't get double quotes. But in speech settings there is no set any combinations with shift + ' :(