Shift select file in Windows equals ? On a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RaceJunkie, Apr 9, 2008.

1. RaceJunkie macrumors regular

You know how in windows you can hold the Shift key click on the first file in a row, then the last and it will auto select these files.

This does not work the same on a mac and I am trying to figure this one out :confused:

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

click the top file without the shift key held, but hold the shift key when you click the last file.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

you need to make sure you are viewing items as a list or in columns, not as icons, then this should work as it does on windows

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, it does.
    Exactly the same.

Also, if you hold down the Command ("Apple") key (instead of the Shift key) you can pick-and-choose which files you want to select…

6. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I will try these methods when I get home from work :D

7. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I figured out the individual file selection, but just holding down shift and selecting the first file then the last did not return the same results as windows. I have not tried it as FJ218700 sugusted or doing it in list view either.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can also just hit Apple (command) + A and that will select all files without involving the mouse.

9. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks yea I managed to figure this one out as well, it's just the selest a few without clicking each one I could not get.

I work with several photo and sometimes only need a row or two of a couple hundred in a folder.

10. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Apple (Command) click will let you select multiple random files... say missing out one in the middle of the selection that you don't want to move... :)

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

See post #5… ;)

12. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

If you're in icon-view, shift-clicking behaves like apple-clicking, that is, adding one at a time to your selection. Drag clicking will let you select a rectangular group of icons in icon-view. Simply click and drag a box around the icons you want to select. If you hold down the apple key while drag-clicking, you can select multiple disjoint groups of files. Drag clicking while holding down the apple key over already selected files will remove those files from the selection.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in the 3 "list" views you can also click and drag like in icon view to select multiple items. make sure you click and drag to the right of name of the file as clicking on its name will move it. i only just figured this out a while ago!

so for example in a 25 item list you wanted to select item 1, 20 & 5-15 you click item 1, hold command and click 20 and then while still holding command click and drag from item 5-15 to the right of the filenames.

14. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

That is AWESOME!!! It also works in icon view

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i know! ive only just found this out and ive been using macs for 1 & 1/2 years. i was watching a video of someone selecting files in column view by clicking and dragging and i couldnt work it out, i kept on dragging a folder. then i realised you have to drag beside the filename.

windows is similar in list view but theres a highlight box like in icon view but i reckon OS X does it better for list views and their famous column view.

16. skwij macrumors 6502

Cool! Finally!

I've been on OS/X for 2 years now and couldn't figure that one out, either. Thanks so much!