Shift to iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Faux Carnival, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Hello, @me.com email addresses will be given soon with the introduction of iCloud. So how is the shift going to be?

We all have Apple ID's. 90% of them ...@gmail.com. So when @me.com is given, do we have to get one? Will it be our primary email address for purchases, news, etc...? Will that be our new Apple ID? Can we continue using our old email? And finally, who will be offered @me.com email addresses? People with eligible iOS devices?

Thanks.

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Whatever your APPLE ID is now will stay the same. You purchase via the ID which is the same. THe only thing that's new is you get an email address that's @me.com

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Apple is devising of a way of merging your new @me.com address with your Apple ID.

For the moment, as a developer, I had to create a separate @me.com handle so I could access my iCloud email.

4. shandyman, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

shandyman Suspended

Your Apple ID stays the same. as it stands at the mo, when you turn on email in iCloud, it prompts you to pick a me.com email address, which gets attached to your apple ID, but you still use your normal login for your Apple ID, unless you go and change it in the settings.

presumably anyone with an Apple ID will be allowed an iCloud email address, it could be a free for all. we are yet to see.

the merging of apple ID's with existing me.com addresses is really for people that had a seperate mobileme accounts to apple ID's as there's lots of these.

with iOS 5, our existing Apple ID's got iCloud emails attached when we enabled mail in iCloud, the only people that had to create new me.com addresses in the beta are the people that had their mobileme as they onyl apple ID account.

just wanted to clear it up as you were implying that people that set up iCloud email for their apple id will have 2 seperate accounts, this is not the case.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

False.

Had separate MobileMe account and appleid was based off my personal domain.

Activating iCloud did not allow merger, required generation of new me.com address.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

To be further clear, activating iCloud on personal domain primary iTunes store account and turning on mail feature required creation of new me.com.

7. shandyman Suspended

I never said about merging apple ID to existing seperate MobileMe. I was saying that when you setup iCloud on the device, when flicking mail on for the first time, it asks you to choose a me.com address. This is tied to the apple ID. There is no merging involved.

The merging that Apple may be doing are for people that already have a me.com address from MobileMe that was set up previously.

Infact your post is an example of this.

8. shandyman Suspended

Yes exactly. The way the posts were written before (see quoted post below) made it sound like anyone that set up iCloud using their Apple ID and enabling mail would give you 2 accounts which need to be merged. Which it doesn't. That was what I was trying to clear up!!