Shift While Caps Lock On

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rs7, Nov 6, 2008.

1. rs7 macrumors regular

Just discovered this by accident...not sure if this is an OSX feature or something...if caps lock is off, shift of course makes the letter you hit capital. However, if caps lock is on, and you hit shift, the letter is capital, not lowercase. In Windows it would be lowercase. Is my MacBook acting how is should?

Thanks

2. coumerelli macrumors 6502

Yes. That is how the Mac OS has worked since Finder 1.0. Shift does not "invert" the Caps Lock key a la windows. Having used macs since late '80s, this is something I forget when I'm on windows (and frustrates me), but I imagine it's the same for those like you, who are more familiar with the ways of Microsoft. Oh, and there's no dumb "num lock" key on keyboards that have a full number pad on the right. :p dumb.

But good question. And welcome!

3. sshark macrumors newbie

Bringing up this dusty old thread,

is there a setting available i can configure mac keyboard to mimic windows way after 2 years? :)

4. Fastball macrumors newbie

Having the same issue

I create a certain type of charts where the majority of the characters I type are capital, so I keep the "caps lock" on. Typically, when I need a lowercase letter, I just hold the shift key, but this does not work with OSX 10.7.2.

Super frustrating because it slows me down.

Any thoughts?