Shifting color tint on new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Joebob123, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Joebob123 macrumors newbie

I just picked up one of the new iPads yesterday. I've read about the people that have a yellow tint, I'm not sure if I'm having the same problem or not.

My issue is that the color tint changes substantially depending on the angle of the screen. I understand that this is somewhat of a problem with all LCD screens, but none of my previous iPhones or my iPad 2 had anything this noticeable. If I hold the screen just right it looks pretty good, somewhat more yellow than my iPad 2 but not terrible, but if I shift the screen just a little down it becomes much more yellow, and if I move it the other way it becomes reddish.

Are other people having the same issue? For me it's too distracting so I'm definitely going to return it, but if this is normal for the new iPad I'm just going to get a refund rather than an exchange.

2. jktress macrumors newbie

Yes, mine has this same problem. I'm sure some will question our sanity, but mine has a definite red/green color shift depending on how I tilt the screen. The three other new iPads I have compared mine to do not have this problem. I'm Ok with the warmer screen, but not with the color shift. I'm exchanging it tomorrow, which is a shame because it is engraved and perfect otherwise!

3. mattwestside macrumors member

This has been talked about in the epic 39-page ongoing thread about the yellow screen issues. Basically in your example, a good way to look at the color shift is to pull up an all-black image and darken the lights in the room. Put the iPad flat in front of you and look at the image from the bottom left and bottom right of the screens, and they should look totally different. I believe from the bottom left the screen on mine was almost completely red. I couldn't justify dropping $800+ on this so I returned it.

4. jktress macrumors newbie

I just ran the test you mentioned above and...wow. Definitely much more noticeable under those conditions. So long engraved iPad.

5. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I just returned my 4th faulty unit with the half pink/ half neutral screen. It was very annoying when the screen would turn pink with even the slightest tilt. Reading web pages with white backgrounds was not enjoyable. I got my money back and will simply use my iPad2 and my MacBook Pro with good LG screens in the meantime. Things will getter better as returned units come back to Apple.

6. Le Buzz macrumors member

I just returned my yellow stained new iPad. (I call it that because it wasn't uniform yellow, only yellow blotches). Now the replacement is even worse, it is pink on one side and yellow on the other.

This is seriously getting frustrating. Tomorrow is my second and last genius apt to get this swapped out. If I get another dud, no iPad for me. I'll be getting a refund and will make do with my iPhone.

I have a suggestion for Tim Cook, take that $100 billion in cold hard cash that is just sitting there gathering dust and invest in better QC.

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Did you return it because of this, or did you run the test because of other display issues?

8. chancee macrumors member

Agree with everyone on this thread. Mine is going back as well. I've been through eight! So I'm fairly confident that aren't many 'good' ones out there, if there are any at all.

If you're using the new ipad for video games or something, you might be okay. But if you're going to be doing much reading... forget about it. I've never seen such a contrast between hype and reality in my life. You would think with the screen being the major feature Apple is touting on this unit it would be exceptional. Trying to read white web pages actually irritated my eyes. It was like trying to stare into some kind of strange, translucent light source. So typical of Apple... and they will NEVER acknowledge it.

My instincts tell me this marks the top for Apple. They should have never released this as it is.

9. socaltyger macrumors newbie

I had a perfect 16gb new iPad. Unfortunately... i realized 16gb was not enough for me and the new higher res apps/pics/videos. Exchanged for a 32gb.. didn't care to check it in-store and quickly noticed the problem at home. Mine had an uneven pink/green screen. It was horrible when reading anything with a white background.

Returned it today and got a much better one (new in-box in-store replacement...first try!). Of course i come home to find out the audio isnt working? WTH? Back to the Apple store tomorrow. :cool: Must admit, some of the horror stories in other threads really makes me uneasy. I don't know if i have what it takes to make them take out 8 new ipads lol.

10. magnusforza macrumors newbie

I'm on my second and I'll be returning it as well, not exchanging. Reading text on a light background is very frustrating experience.

These Retina displays are not ready for prime time.

11. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Wow, did it get progressively more difficult to convince them to keep swaapping for you?

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My color does not shift with differing angles, only the brightness slightly dims. :rolleyes:

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

If you can't notice it, why the hell care? Also warmer is not bad.

14. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

Same with mine, I don't see any color change.

15. mattwestside macrumors member

I actually noticed the color shifting when I was laying in bed with the iPad propped in front of me watching something on netflix with letterbox. I set it down flat on the bed to reach for some water and noticed that the entire screen appeared reddish from that angle, which lead to further investigation.

IPS TFT panels aren't supposed to color shift, and perhaps I'm misstating what was actually occurring. What I noticed was a shift in the perceived color of the backlighting at certain angles which was affecting the image quality on the screen. It seemed like the actual panel was 'leaking' the red hues through itself since it was not coming from the sides/bezel of the display, as seen in many of the photos posted recently to this forum (I believe that phenomenon is called flashlighting, where the bezel appears pinched, or an LED seems to be shining light in a non-uniform manner).

So I bought a $300 Galaxy Tab 8.9 off CL and set it side-by-side with the iPad and there was absolutely no color-shifting or panel leaking - and since the main reason I bought a tablet was to watch TV/movies and read books in bed, the (totally subjective) use case in that type of low light environment favors the Android device, so the iPad was returned.