Shiira 2.0 final out now

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tafkas, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Tafkas macrumors regular

The Open Source Software Browser Shiira has gone gold. Shiira is a web browser based on Web Kit and written in Cocoa. The goal of the Shiira Project is to create a browser that is better and more useful than Safari. All source code used in this software is publicly available.

You can download it at http://shiira.jp/en.php

2. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If Watanabe made Inquisitor for this, it would be my primary browser :)

4. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Every time I quit Shiira after organizing my bookmarks it unexpectedly quits and doesn't remember them :(

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I don't think Shiira 2.0 is truly ready yet, it lacks some of the features from 1.2.2 and it's still buggy. Why'd they release it with so many issues?

6. kwabena macrumors member

kwabena

Yeah, Inquisitor will make Shiira my alternative to Safari. Impressed though.

7. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Maybe it's just me but Shiira seems faster than both Safari and FF.

Does Shiira support multiple start pages? If so, I can't figure out how to enable it.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not for me, but I like the tab/exposé feature :)

9. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

It may be faster, while running it, but it's definitely slower starting up, which is ... annoying :rolleyes:

10. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I cannot get this thing to load any home page. I have tried every variation but no go. Is there something I'm missing?

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This is a really disappointing release. It seems that the shiira project is full of fantastic ideas - tab expose, page transition effect, and even what looks like a potentially editable list of search engines. BUT it is full of bugs. I can't get the page transition effect to work, I can't import any bookmarks, if I want to 'go home' I have to click the home button and then hit 'return,' etc. and I've only been messing with it for about 15 mins!

Unfortunately, they had to take down their forums because they were being spammed so I'm not even sure how to notify the developers. The do have a help page in Japanese, which I can get by in, but even that is not all that helpful.

13. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Downloaded from front page of Shiira website. Launch it, then it tells me there's an update available - would I like to update? Okay - downloads update, "Install and relaunch" .... beachball and "The application Shiira quit unexpectedly".

Well that's great.

I wanted to see if they'd fixed the glaring bug from earlier releases where it wasn't possible to log into websites that use - I'm not sure what to call it - a login drop-down sheet (the sort created by .htaccess usually), e.g. www.doctors.net.uk

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

It seems to work when I go there... Of course, I can't log in, but the drop down works ok.... but no use to you if it keeps crashing. They really need to fix this release.

YT

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The auto-update worked for me.

However, I get a lot of crashes as well... there's an option apparently to force the bookmarks bar (which I use predominantly) to be the one from Firefox or Safari. Crashes when I try to set it. Try to move bookmarks over into the Shiira bookmarks bar, and they don't show up, plus Shiira crashes on attempt to quit. (EDIT: Note, it doesn't generally crash on quit; only systematically if I try this. The error appears to have to do with moving folders into the Shiira bookmarks bar, even though Shiira does appear to support folders on the bar.) There's also no apparent manual importation of bookmark files.)

It has some very pretty new features. And the fact that they've already released a patched 2.0 build is a good sign. I think at this point, they just need some bug-fixing time.

Also, look at the overlay text on the tabsposé... do other people get garbled text boxes like this also?

[​IMG]

16. sthpark7791 macrumors regular

I havent tried this browser. The tab feature seems really cool. Will download :)

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Eh, most shiira builds have been like that, lots of nifty features but not quite finished enough to use. Whatever, it's free. The people working on it seem to be having fun playing with interfaces, and everyone else gets to have a little fun playing around with the results, even if they're not quite baked yet. Maybe that's good enough.

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

No, I don't get that, but otherwise I have the same problems.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I noticed that I only get it seemingly for some pages. I opened a new set of pages, and two or three out of six did, and the others did not. It seems to be a function of the page and not the location among the pages or how many pages are docked. For instance, my OurMedia homepage always does it. Blank pages also always do it. Many other pages such as my MySpace, Dilbert, etc, (that are in my bookmark bar, and so readily accessible), do not.

Another minor quirk I noticed is that, while in most other browsers, you can Apple-click a bookmark (e.g. from the bookmark bar) to make it open in a new tab, Shiira does not appear to let you do this to open it in a new docked page or a new tab. And it doesn't appear to be in the list of user configurable keys, either.

Hopefully someone on the Shiira team who speaks English is reading this thread! ;)

20. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

1.2.2 > 2.0

but no problems yet, so i guess i'll leave it up

21. Xavier macrumors 68020

I can't open pref. on my G4. It unexpectedly quits every time

22. iCe Cube macrumors regular

I think it's still very buggy. E.g. I'm on the guardian's website and 10 pop up tabs end up opening