Shill Free Non Ad Must Have iPad Accessory

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Bob Maxey, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Bob Maxey macrumors member

Here is my mini review of something I seldom see discussed on iPad forums. Big fan review, and shill/hype free. Actually, not a review, but a link. It is my favorite device

I consider this to be a must have because it does so much for 99 bucks plus S/H. You decide

http://www.airstash.com/

2. glen e macrumors 68030

I have one and rarely use it since dropbox works so well.

I also returned my first one as it blew up after a months use.

3. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Blew up??? Pics or it didn't happen!

hehe just mess in with ya. I also use and like dropbox.

4. glen e macrumors 68030

just my bad slang - was notified it had an update avail - did the update per the instructions and it went dormant. Called them and they said it probably had a internal short, they sent a new one that works fine. But I'd rather be on dropbox as I can access it from anywhere.

5. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Anywhere that you can access the internet, of course.

6. glen e macrumors 68030

of course, and that's fine with me as it is free vs $100....there may be some totally great uses for this, maybe field photography? But not for me.

I bought it when the ipad came out thinking it was the only way to get stuff in an out of the pad. I have not used it since dropbox.

7. Bob Maxey thread starter macrumors member

That's fair. Until DB has issues or you can't get to a WiFi connection. It is just one more way to add storage to the iPad and give access to files Apple does not allow and eliminate iFile/jailbreaking for those that rather not JB.

Not for everyone, but I love mine because it works and solves problems. Some things I can't upload to any such service.

8. MathRulz macrumors regular

I used to use flash drives all the time. Since I've been using Dropbox, I almost never use them.

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Since I've been picking on Bob on another thread, I feel like I should give him some props here. He's right. Dropbox (and any "cloud" solution) is great as long as (a) one has no issues with a wifi or cell connection and (b) file sizes/attributes are compatible with the "cloud" solution.

I spend a lot of time at secure client sites where both cell phone coverage and wifi connectivity are restricted. I'm sometimes in remote areas where even EDGE connectivity is iffy. I have a relatively good 4G/LTE data plan with Verizon that provides up to 5 Gigs per month and I seldom exceed its limits. But if I were dependent on a 2 Gig iPad plan, I'd be in trouble on a regular basis. And if I were streaming movies to the back seat for my kid on a long road trip relying on a cloud based solution would be problematic at best, both in terms of capacity and in terms of connectivity.

In short, a solution like AirStash has numerous advantages over a cloud based solution depending on the circumstances.

10. glen e macrumors 68030

i wholeheartedly agree - my ipad is a keynote presenter, the files non secure and no larger than 2mb. And every car dealer I work in for presentations has wifi out the A$$ for customers and internal people alike - sometimes 2 or 3 to choose from.

but for bigger stuff on job sites, I can see where the stash would work well. I'll sell mine if anyone needs it..

11. Bob Maxey thread starter macrumors member

I do not feel picked on.

In my case, various NDAs and contract terms prevent me from posting any work product to any web site. Forget that it is secure and all that, I just cannot do it.

I use DB for some files. Things like video clips, outlines, images, and the like. Never for confidential stuff. DB is great, but there are others offering free storage. Minus dot com gives you 10 GB for example. One is likely as good as the other(s).

Then there is Microsoft's free 25 GB storage called SkyDrive. Frankly, MS is not likely going away anytime soon, so I might switch. Much to be said abut a huge company behind something.

DB is popular just because it is so often mentioned mentioned. And in my opinion, many people do not think to look for alternatives. They simply grab onto one idea and that idea is the perfect idea. Not at all saying DB is bad, just another free service.

My fear is an outage. Perhaps my iPad can't connect, the DB site is down, no WiFi on a production floor, failed backups and a server dies. All sorts of things. For some of us, if we cannot access, we cannot work.

And again jsh, I do not feel picked on. I am right, you are wrong, and that's that. SMILEY!!!

PS: I never ever thought about the 3G/4G costs associated with using DB. Sure you are correct. Perhaps a free service is not so free. What happens as data rates climb and everything is put in the cloud? Have you run the numbers and looked at the costs?

12. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Well, you should. Being so wrong-headed and all. :D

As far as the data plan issue, I've noticed that many folks don't seem to take it into account at all. Perhaps those with 3G iPads simply consider it a $30 per month sunk cost that they seldom (if ever) exceed. But if they're using the iPad data plan extensively for streaming, they certainly will.

Furthermore, if one is using DropBox (or any cloud service) more than very occasionally via a 3G connection, the monthly cancellation feature of the month-to-month iPad data plan will never kick in. They'll be using it every month. And if that's the case, they'll consume the $100 cost of the airstash in less than four months. Of course, if they use the 3G service for other tasks, the only issue is whether a cloud service plus other uses pushes one over the 2Gig limit.

For wifi only iPad owners (and those who don't activate their 3G data plan), the cost calculation is different, of course. If they're piggybacking on a home ISP connection or using a free wifi connection then there's no additional cost for a cloud service. In that case the only downside is the potential not to be able to access the internet, at all for lack of a wifi connection.

Finally, there are folks, like me, who have a data plan that is shared among multiple devices. If the gigabyte ceiling is high enough (mine is 5 gigs), the impact of a cloud service is likely negligible, especially if one uses wifi most of the time. And unlike those with an iPad only data plan, I have no option to cancel my plan for a month and turn it back on. So unless I exceed the ceiling, there is no additional cost, at all. Likewise for those who can tether their cell phones to the iPad and share a generous data plan.

As you point out, though, data plan costs are rising, especially for heavy users. And the threat of "throttling" for those same users is likely to impact the utility of a cloud based service.

13. MathRulz macrumors regular

However, many of us with 3G iPads probably upload/download to Dropbox in the office or at home using wifi. So use of Dropbox doesn't much impact our data plan. I know that I load up prior to trips or work in archives. Of course, I paid up front for storage capacity when i bought my iPad. So the cost equation very much depends on the way we each use our iPads. You are right that many may not be appropriately factoring in cloud services into their data plans if they are frequently out of wifi range or work or travel in environments without wifi.

14. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

You're correct, of course. But I'd love to see the figures (which I'm quite sure are NOT available) on the distribution of use for 3G services. As I understand it, with a 3G iPad on activation with a carrier you're immediately charged $30 for the first month. After that time you can "opt out" and choose to use the service in blocks of 30 days after that time. If you don't explicitly turn it off, you're then charged on 30 day cycles.

I strongly suspect that a look at the usage statistics would show a huge bulge of users who use very, very little 3G access on an ongoing basis and are still paying for that access on a regular basis.

15. glen e macrumors 68030

I have found the ATT program for 3G to be very acceptable. I get what I need for $15 a month that they autorenew every 30 days and tell you ahead of time when you have 20% and the 10% left. You have the chance to say no thanks for any amount every month. I have only gone over the $15 level twice in a couple years and then it was within 5 or 6 days of getting the new $15 amount.

16. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

The $15 per month AT&T plan (I just checked) is for 250mg (1/4 Gig) per month. That's fine if you use very little 3G access per month but it doubles to $30 per month for another 1/4 gig, i.e. total of 1/2 Gig. The alternative is $25 per month for 1Gig and $10 for each 1Gig beyond that.

As I understand it, one can shift from one of these plans to the other depending on use but I'm not familiar enough with AT&T to understand the restrictions, if any.

17. glen e macrumors 68030

yes you can shift anytime between the 15 and 25 dollar programs. the 15 for me is 250mb program and the 25 is a 2 gb program. I am not a power user like you guys, I guess...but spend about 10-12 hours/mo surfing at airports on 3G and many nights in hotels where the wifi connection is weak or costs. I don't transfer any files on 3G except 2 mb files to dropbox, to any great degree and send a few pics and stuff.
    [​IMG]