Shimon Peres Passes Away Aged 93

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Scepticalscribe, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Death of Shimon Peres:

Just read that the death has been reported of the legendary and extraordinarily gifted Israeli statesman, diplomat, and politician, Shimon Peres.

Actually, I have long found it astounding on some of these very threads that the deaths of well known (but popular) mediocrities and talentless and witless 'celebrities' can attract a stupefying number of posts, threads, and replies, but that the death of genuine giants can pass without a whisper of acknowledgement.

This man was a giant - a flawed giant, granted, - but was pretty much the last of that extraordinary generation of founding fathers (and mothers, I'm looking at you, Golda Meir among others) that gave rise to modern Israel.

When studying politics as the art of the potential of compromise and negotiation, Mr Peres offer us an instructive series of examples of a what can be achieved by a genuinely idealistic, courageous, flexible and exceptionally creative practitioner of the art and craft and profession of politics and diplomacy.

RIP. What an impressive individual.

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I've spent time long ago examining histories of some of the nations in the M.E. and continue to be amazed at how Israel manages to flourish under such odds and proud of our (US) relationship. Peres was a part of a nation's history that shows what ethics, morals, intelligence and ingenuity can do and is to be admired.

RIP Mr. Peres

3. ardent73 macrumors regular

ardent73

Ezekiel 37:11 Then he said to me, “Son of man, these bones represent the people of Israel. They are saying, ‘We have become old, dry bones—all hope is gone. Our nation is finished.’ 12 Therefore, prophesy to them and say, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: O my people, I will open your graves of exile and cause you to rise again. Then I will bring you back to the land of Israel. 13 When this happens, O my people, you will know that I am the Lord. 14 I will put my Spirit in you, and you will live again and return home to your own land. Then you will know that I, the Lord, have spoken, and I have done what I said. Yes, the Lord has spoken!’”

4. Hasukazu macrumors newbie

Hasukazu

ご愁傷様です
    My heartfelt condolences

[​IMG]

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A great statesman, the kind which is severely lacking in this day and age.