Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vvv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Ok, I sent my ipod in for repair under a store's extended warranty, well they sent me what I assume is either a new one or a refurbished one, anyways, for somereason the clickwheel is very shiny, and it's kind of annoying. I think it might be a film over it to protect it, I've been trying to get it off, but I'm affraid to go after it to agressively, I don't want to damage it.

Anyways, has anyone here seen something like this? It's hard to tell where the wheel is, it's so slick.

thanks.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Photos, please! I don't think I've heard of this problem before, but I'm sure somebody here probably has.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
There are 2 versions of the click wheel, made by different manufacturers. I think the shiny one is earlier.

vvv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Oh well, that kinda sucks, I don't like it as much as the other one.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 136

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
I actually like the shiny wheel better. I think your finger sticks to it a bit better and makes it easier to control.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2006
i don't like the 5g ipod as much as my old 4g.

the gui seems slower. it still works well, but it just seems slower for some reason.

nicque

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
laidbackliam said:
i don't like the 5g ipod as much as my old 4g.

the gui seems slower. it still works well, but it just seems slower for some reason.

same here, but the battery seems alot shorter than my old g4.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
dukebound85 said:
Thats exactly why i dont like the shiny ones. I like my finger being able to slide over the wheel without sticking to it

Well, I have the newer matte one and I don't like it because it's harder for me to control for some reason. I have covered mine with the Martin Fields wheel cover which makes it more glossy and it works better for me that way.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
luckylisp said:
Well, I have the newer matte one and I don't like it because it's harder for me to control for some reason. I have covered mine with the Martin Fields wheel cover which makes it more glossy and it works better for me that way.

Guess im glad they made both varieties!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.