Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Yeah it's normal. These new black keyboard on the unibodies tend to wear out real quick and therefore looking shiny when u look at it at angle at lighting.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
it is normal, but ugly. I learned this with my first uMB from october.

by the time i sold it half the keys looked like i wiped them down with WD-40.

that is why i bought a Moshi cleargaurd cover when i bought my June 2009 15" macbook pro.

P.S. you were extremely vague on your question. in the future maybe give a little more than a sentence fragment in you initial post.

& don't get pissy when people that are trying to help you ask for some clarification.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
it is when the starter cops an attitude when you try to answer his question.

"june MBP, what else do you want me to say?"

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Yeah it's normal. These new black keyboard on the unibodies tend to wear out real quick and therefore looking shiny when u look at it at angle at lighting.

I've never seen it wear out on any of my mac keyboards. I have however seen massive amounts of finger grease on the keyboard keys that make it appear worn and shiny.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

Every keyboard wears out quick. It's just harder to see on some keyboards depending on the colour.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I've never seen it wear out on any of my mac keyboards. I have however seen massive amounts of finger grease on the keyboard keys that make it appear worn and shiny.

i have had my MacBook for about 8 months now and notice the same thing.

you can definitely notice which keys are worn and which keys aren't (aka ones you don't hit like the right option key for me)

oils from your fingers also play a role in this, but when your keyboard is clean you can still see the 'shine' or 'wear'

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
They will get even shinnier the more threads you type :)

Same with my keyboard. It actually helps me type faster and without thinking of the key travel and hand position.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
They will get even shinnier the more threads you type :)
That's why I like my Apple Wireless Keyboard. Over a year old and still looks like it did out of the box. No noticeable wear at all (check my post count to see I haven't exactly been easy on it!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.