Shiny Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tribaltwo, Apr 9, 2012.

1. tribaltwo macrumors member

Hello There,

My trackpad has been worn down so much that most of it is now "shiny". I am aware that this is just the layer of plastic being worn out, but is there anything I can do to restore it?

And also, is the shiny trackpad a bad sign or is it just something that has to be put up with?

Thanks

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Mine has been like that. It never affected performance but usually the top case would start cracking and I would have it replaced at an Apple Store.

What model MacBook do you have?

3. tribaltwo thread starter macrumors member

Not sure about the model number but its a 2,1 Blackbook Late 2006, why?

4. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Just wondering if it was around the same model year as mine. If it was a newer white one or an aluminum one, there might be some other issue going on.

5. tribaltwo thread starter macrumors member

Hm, what is your X,X number?

And you said your trackpad was shiny as well...any way to remedy that?

6. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

MacBook1,1.

Not sure how to remedy it. The white MacBooks have issues with case cracking and Apple replaces them, I've had mine replaced about 3 or 4 times. This keeps mine looking newer. I don't think the black MacBooks had this issue.

Here's an example of the cracking issue...

Attached Files:

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, if the upper case piece with the mousepad has any chips or cracks, you can just get it replaced at an apple store. Otherwise, there's no way to get it fixed besides a good cleaning.

EDIT - Black MacBooks have this issue, I've had my 2.4GHz trackpad replaced twice due to cracking.

8. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Interesting. Thanks. I'm thinking of getting a Black MacBook and wasn't sure if I'd have to worry about this.

9. tribaltwo thread starter macrumors member

Oh yes I have cracks all along the edges of the case near the trackpad. Not too worried about it however.

10. tribaltwo thread starter macrumors member

So there is some sort of residue on the trackpad that gets on your fingers as it wears down?

11. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I don't think so. I think just moving your fingers around on it all the time will wear down the coating that's on it. It'll be a small amount at the time, but over the course of many months or years it will show.

Just an example, my trackpad looks brand new.

12. ceepee21 macrumors newbie

ceepee21

Just had my top case replaced by apple 2 days ago at no cost due to chipping around the edges in the "palm rest" area and getting a new mouse pad is part of getting the top case replaced.