Ship iPad to Canada

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JefferyShin, Apr 14, 2010.

1. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

Hello,
    Unfortunately, internaional shipping for iPad has been delayed to May 31st.

Now, with the Canadian dollar worth 1.0021 US as of this morning, would shipping from the US be worth it?

I'd be buying a wi-fi only version, so would there be a difference whether i buy there or here?

And another question, what would be the steps i would take to get it shipped to Canada? I can't really drive down to US at the moment.

Thanks,
    Jeffery

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Did you post this from your HAM radio or something? :)

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

It's some bug in the forums, I fixed it.

4. bobdard macrumors regular

Only possibility would be for a relative to buy it for you and ship it over. In that case, expect to pay GST, PST, and UPS/DHL/Fedex/whatever "Brokerage" fee for getting it cleared at customs. That will come out to ~ $50 + the GST/PST of the actual iPad.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Additional to the above suggestion, you can also check ebay. Again, expect to pay GST, PST and custom fee unless the iPad is shipped out of Canada.

Also, you can check your local craiglist or kijiji. If you live close to the boarder, people would have done the drive and are selling them on the internet in Canada.

6. JefferyShin thread starter macrumors regular

JefferyShin

Mmkay, thanks for the info.

I'm just scared that the iPad that comes out in Canada at the end of May will be 'better', for example, all the hardware bug fixes, and maybe support for regular SIM?

7. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

You can keep waiting but it will be the same one.

8. JefferyShin thread starter macrumors regular

JefferyShin

But no carriers in Canada support MicroSIM, is it possible Apple might allow the usage of regular SIM in iPads?

9. nasa25 macrumors 65816

rogers announced that it would support iPad 3G today.

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Not a chance. If there's a hardware update, it'll be world-wide and not just Canada. Besides, if it takes Apple until the fall to upgrade the firmware, what are the chances of seeing a hardware upgrade in one month. Don't forget these things are made in China in hugh batches. The order would have to be in a few months ago for something shipped in May.

As for the pricing in Canada, it is likely to be $525 for the 16GB wifi (based on a 5% difference in pricing for the new MBP released yesterday).

The 3G models are not shipping yet in the USA, so you can only get the wifi version at this point.

11. JefferyShin thread starter macrumors regular

JefferyShin

Awesome, thank you.

If you don't mind, another question.

How would I ship it to Canada? Would I have to order it online to a friends house in the states and get him to ship it? Or is there a direct method?

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

No direct shipping method. Someone has to buy the iPad in the US (online or in store), get it in his/her hands and then ship it to you. If this person is a friend, he/she may be able to declare it as a low-value gift, and you *might* not have to pay any taxes.

13. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

Well, on 3G release day, I plan on selling my 16GB WiFi. I live in Alaska, and work for DHL so I could save you on shipping. That is if you are still looking by the time I get my hands on a 3G... If you are interested, and want me to PM you if/when that occurs, lemme know!