Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
You and me both! I have been trying to mount my 1st gen mini into the dash of my car - CHEAPLY! I sold my mini to get a retina mini and once i have my mount figured out, it's going in the car. this has to be the best possibility for a head unit ever... movies + navi + music... the UI could be a little better for in-car use but i'm certainly not complaining :D:apple:

I think this site has been posted here before, but these guys do nice custom in-dash mounts for tablets.

http://www.soundmanca.com/ipad-mini...sh-installation/?category=iPad+install+How+To

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I'm sorry but all these shortages is too much of a coincidence.... first it was apple...next it's iPad...and etc...

I have a feeling that apple INTENTIONALLY did this so people could buy the products in the middle of year...so that new products would be introduce and piss many people who purchased the current products.

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
I think this site has been posted here before, but these guys do nice custom in-dash mounts for tablets.

http://www.soundmanca.com/ipad-mini...sh-installation/?category=iPad+install+How+To

I have known their work for years now. I'm a cheap person. No way I'm spending $400 on a tablet and then north of $1,000 to have it mounted in my car. for that price combined, i might as well just get a factory navi and safe myself the hassle.

i'm trying to make a mount from scratch via home depot parts. my goal is to spend less than $50 and so far, i've made good progress. I just have not had the time to work on it as i wanted :(

the cheapest "in dash" mount i've seen was $800 at a local shop. that's the best price i've gotten. i'd rather do it on my own and learn than spend so much.

that's my opinion and my position though, others would gladly spend $1k for the easy & professional looking installation.

im trying to do something similar to this dude -
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4071734#post4071734

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I have known their work for years now. I'm a cheap person. No way I'm spending $400 on a tablet and then north of $1,000 to have it mounted in my car. for that price combined, i might as well just get a factory navi and safe myself the hassle.

i'm trying to make a mount from scratch via home depot parts. my goal is to spend less than $50 and so far, i've made good progress. I just have not had the time to work on it as i wanted :(

Oh I agree, my wife would kill me if I spent that kind of money. She'd kill me if she knew what version of the iPad I got. I'll let her assume it was the 16gb wifi version.

Their work could give you an idea of how to do it yourself. I've played with fiberglass bondo in the past, and it's something I think I can make myself. Though I am not 100% sure. It's cheap enough to experiment with though.

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I order yesterday morning 23 minutes into online sales.
now how long will it take to receive it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 10.41.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 10.41.13 PM.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 81

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
Oh I agree, my wife would kill me if I spent that kind of money. She'd kill me if she knew what version of the iPad I got. I'll let her assume it was the 16gb wifi version.

Their work could give you an idea of how to do it yourself. I've played with fiberglass bondo in the past, and it's something I think I can make myself. Though I am not 100% sure. It's cheap enough to experiment with though.

Best of luck on your project :) Yeah, 1k is too much for me... as it is, i use my iphone 5 for navi + music in my car via an AUX cable. that's been perfect for me and i'm a happy camper... that's why i am reluctant to spend $1k to get similar functionality out of an ipad mini... although it would look much cooler :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.