Shipping 24" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Fazzl, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I want to get the Cinema display for my new mbp but i will need it shipped across the country (LA to NY) for school this fall. How can i do this the best way? Can i take it with me on the plane or do i need to ship it via usps or ups etc. if so, how much would this charge around and anyone in this situation before thanks?

2. termina3 macrumors 65816

Do you have the original box?

You can take it as checked baggage... but I would be weary of handlers "losing" it in transit.

3. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I actually havent bought it yet. Want to buy it tomorrow or so. I don't want to wait until i get to school to get it because that will be in like 3 months. Isn't there risk of damage if it is checked in? I see the way they throw around suitcases

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I am not certain Fed Ex, UPS, TNT, etc. treat the boxes they ship any better than how airline personnel treat suitcases.

I would be more concerned about it going "Missing" rather than damaged. That said, I have seen my share of older iMac boxes at baggage claim.

5. termina3 macrumors 65816

You haven't ordered it yet? Why not have it shipped directly to your final destination when you get there?

If you're really worried about damage, toss your screen in a pelican case and let the airport personnel do what they can. But beware; they're expensive.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I would take it in a carry-on suitcase or ship it. If you take it on the plane with a carry-on suitcase, you will be able to do all the handling yourself and keep it safe. If you ship it, have it sent out the day before you leave and have a pack and ship place package it securely for you. Make sure you get insurance on the shipment in case something happens.
    DO NOT place it in a box as a checked bag and DO NOT place it a checked suitcase. It will end up missing or in more pieces than you sent it in. Airlines do not ensure that your bags will be handled properly or that all the contents will make it to the other end.

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

can i take it as a carry on though? Is it not too big? or do they have a special place to but it.

and to the person who said order it to my final destination. the thing is i want it now in LA but i wont be back for school in NY for 3 months. I don't want to wait that long to get the monitor...

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I do not recommend trying to carry it on to an airplane. These days, space in the overheads is at a premium (with so many airlines charging to check even one bag, lots of people are trying to get by with carry-on only). If you're getting ready to board and they find out that the overhead bins are full, they'll make you check it at the gate/jetway. That's better than regular check in, but you're still taking a risk.

I'd be pretty tempted to ship it via FedEx or UPS. After all, Apple ships them all around the country that way (and so do Amazon, MacMall, etc.).

9. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I actually carried on an ACD from Sydney to Rome when prices where lower in Aus. (They still are)

But it was a while ago. No problems. It was heavy and inconvenient but it went OK. I also had a layover in the middle.

International flight however- the plane was big.

10. termina3 macrumors 65816

If the OP puts it in a Pelican case properly, nothing will happen to it short of outright theft.

That said, the most efficient option seems to be to ship it via UPS or FedEx. If you're really uncomfortable with the obvious box, put it in a different box.

11. jhsfosho macrumors 6502