Shipping a BIG box from Canada to the UK

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by UberMac, Aug 13, 2011.

1. UberMac macrumors 6502

Hi Folks,

Next Winter (Dec 2011->Mar 2012) I'm spending a season skiing in Canada before starting a trip round the world. (Very exciting!) However, once I've finished skiing I won't need my skis / warm clothes / boots for the rest of my journey so am planning on sending them back home.

Obviously it doesn't matter how long shipping takes as I'll be away anyway, but has anyone got any advice on who to use to send a big package of such things for a decent price? I've got no idea what's reasonable and have seen quotes online from £150 to £600 but they were still airmail and I was hoping to find something slower and cheaper.

Any tips or advice?

Uber

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

FedEx Express or DHL is who I recommend. I worked with them to ship haz mat around the world for a while and both are excellent to work with. Can you not take some of that stuff back with you on your flight?

3. codymac macrumors 6502

Second FedEx.

Over the past few years, EMS mail has gone up to the point where it matches FedEx in price and I've only had bad experiences with Canada Post in the past.

I'd just pick whichever of FedEx/UPS/DHL which is most convenient and cost-effective. The alternative of finding a freight forwarder to save on a one-time shipment seems a bit too much of a hassle.

4. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! I could indeed take my things on with me, but as I'm travelling to a lot warmer places before getting home I figure I may as well get rid of as much of my skiing gear as possible before putting my backpack back on for the rest of the trip.

Cheers,

Uber

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Unless this equipment/clothing is super expensive, could you not just sell it when you are done with it in Canada?

Your loss might be less than the cost of shipping the stuff home, and far less aggravating than schlepping it around the World with you.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm sure you could do UPS. What's the size of the box? (In inches, length x width x height)

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'd buy some used equipment here in Canada, and then sell it again when you leave. You may have customs hassles bringing ski stuff into Canada, and then picking it up again in the UK.

Also, depending on the visa you are coming in on, bringing a bunch of ski gear may trigger an immigration session... it may appear that you are not planning on leaving Canada, which would then cause even more hassles. If you are travelling on a regular tourist visa you may/likely need to show you are intending to leave the country.

Travel light when entering Canada. Have an outbound ticket to show, if asked, for about a month after when you enter. Even if you extend the date the day after you get to your destination, it shows intent to leave the country. Be able to show sufficient funds for the length of stay. Etc etc This is all assuming you aren't coming in on a visa that allows an indefinite stay.

Where are you planning on ending up?