Shipping a car to Germany for driver's vacation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chevyingermany, Dec 9, 2010.

1. chevyingermany macrumors newbie

My husband is shipping his Corvette to Germany for an 8 week vacation though Germany, Switzerland, Northern Italy and Southern France. It is a 2005 Corvette. Who can I contact about insurance, finding out how to make the car legal, changing lights, basically everything. I have a quote for getting it over there and that's about it.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd probably start here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1179.html

Usually each embassy will have an e-mail address to which you might be able to send a question about driving. You will need an international driving permit.

Honestly it's going to be a huge pain in the rear. If you're on vacation, why not take the train and use rentals?

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

4. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Buying a car and selling it isn't the point. The point is to take the car he has so he can say I have taken this car on the ring, etc. And have the stickers to prove it or videos, etc. A car enthusiast dream.

5. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Hmmmm. Althoughh i can see the dream part of this all, i'd say its going to be incredibly expensive. Insuring the car will be very difficult, primarily because it will be temporarily (insurqnce companies make their money off people paying for a long time and not crashing, you're missing part one at least). Also having US plates means extra admin as most european insurances aren't setup to insure foreign cars. I used to work for a major insurer here in the netherlands (Axa) and cars with foreign plates were rarely accepted and never if it was only temporarily.
    Another thing the insurance won't like is the fact that you'll be heading to various countries on your trip. Processing claims from abroad is something insurance companies don't like doing.

Can't you convnce your current insurance to cover you whilst over here?

Unfortunatly for you insurance is legally required is all western european countries. Getting caught without will lose you your car...

Just rent something fun and enjoy it!:cool:

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

I think you missed the part where she said "driver's vacation", meaning the whole point is to go there and drive the piss out of the car, much like the point of European delivery for new BMWs.

x eleventy billion

To the OP, I definitely can feel what he is wanting to do, but I think like mentioned it is going to be a logistical nightmare, probably unrealistic, unfortunately.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Oh man.. such an awesome vacation. I wish I could afford to do that one day!
    Keep us posted on the info you find out.. I will paste it in my evernote to come back to it in many years :D

8. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Unless the laws have changed since I lived there 2002-2005. You should be able to drive with your US plates for six months. You can get your current insurance policy to include Europe and you will need a German translation for your registration and insurance. If you need to extend beyond 6 months you can get another six month extension. But after 12 months you have to register, pay import duties, and also VAT (yes taxes) on the purchase price of your vehicle. You do not need to modify the glass, headlights, parking light unless you plan on registering your vehicle over there.

You can drive on your state side license for a few months but it would be better to get an international drivers license, again with a german translation.

This whole process can be very easy if you use an authorized vehicle importer/exporter. I got my Chevy 2500HD and Subaru WRX shipped over there and rode with american plates for the first 6 months. The importer did all of the paperwork for me and it wasn't super expensive which included port-to-port shipping. The boat ride can take 2-3 weeks so you want to plan in advance.

Don't get upset when you are doing 130MPH and get passed by an old dude/lady in an Audi. It happens from time to time.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I didn't miss it, I didn't know what a "driver's vacation" was and didn't care enough to look it up. The entire concept seems retarded to me, but ok.

10. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Far from retarded. But someone who isn't into cars like yourself, I can see you thinking that. Just keep the stupid comments to yourself seriously.

I have known several people who have done this and it wasn't that expensive.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you actually have any substantive advice to add to the conversation? Because it doesn't look like it. If you know something about a "driver's vacation" that would actually help the OP, why don't you share? Put up or shut up.

12. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Like you complaining about how it "seems retarded" adds anything in the first place..

13. nizmoz macrumors 65816

X2. I laughed when he attacked me saying I didn't give advice when in fact I did but he hasn't at all. LOL!

I can find out tonight. I am actually going to a Christmas Party and their will be a lady there I know who just moved back from going to Germany for 2 years and they had their car shipped. I can find out what it took to do all that and let you know if she shows up tonight.

14. puma1552 macrumors 601

You'd have to be pretty dim to not be able to figure out what "driver's vacation" meant from the words "driver's vacation", not to mention the description of wanting to ship a Vette overseas and drive it through several countries. Honestly, it doesn't take much common sense to figure it out.

Do you not know what a "golfer's vacation" is either?:rolleyes: Hint: it involves golf clubs and golf courses, and maybe golf balls. lol.